VIA chipset+ WindowsXP+GeForce3 fix?

G

Sorry in advance of being analfabetic- /me non american, not candian, not english speaking at all :}

I got this little bothering problem with my v-card (or is it OS or maybe MoBo problem?): At first i ran Windows XP on VIA chipset (TK266A) MoBo (Soltek) with a GeForce2 MX (strange, but not sure if it was a gf2, not gf1 - it was just a temporary v-card). Everything ran smoothly, no problems with native v-card drivers, no problems with detonator (v. 23.11).

Then i finaly got my hands on GeForce3 Ti500 (from Winfast). Heck, I was disappointed. I was not able to install the new v-card, though old drivers were all removed. No native and no detonator drivers could help.

Native drivers install didn't have an XP option and Win2000 option dropped dead without installing, Detonator drivers also failed to find Ti500 drivers for WinXP, so i installed Win2000 drivers, which in this case was possible, but after restarting the pc it didn't detect the new drivers, but instead it detected a new hardware (which actually was the same, just installed v-card).

So i downgraded OS to WinMe to make things run, but this also sucks because of everyone at home can "[-peep-]" into computer (install various types of crap etc.) due to absence of authorisation.

The question is what causes that incompatibility? VIA? nVidia? Microsoft?

Who should be the one that releases some kind of patch or fix? Is it possible that new Detonator drivers could help?

Or maybe WinXP service pack fixes this?

What does VIA say about this incompatibility?

G

I had the same trouble with my winfast and XP. I dropped back to win98 and everything was fine. So i reinstalled XP and tried to install the Det XP drivers and had the same trouble.

I finally got XP to detect the winfast properly, but can't remember why or how.

Rule out your Mobo. This is an XP and Det driver issue.

G

I tried to install a GForce 2 TI in my system and gave up because of video problems. I have a ABit MB, Athlon 950MHz, and Windows XP. I found out that my problem was the damn VIA chipset. I sent back the card and bought a Radeon 8500. Everything works great now. The card is a little slower than some of the GForce cards out there, but for $185.00 and peace of mind, I felt it was worth it.