Windows Messeger vs. MSN Messenger

steven

I'm using MSN messenger. However, sometimes (the old) windows messenger seems
to start. I don't notice it (there is no icon) until someone starts talking.
I tought I unistalled windows messenger when I started using MSN messeger...
I looked for the file messenger.exe but I can't find it.
How can I stop windows messenger from starting up automaticly if I can't
find messenger. exe?

thanks.

Just disable it in the registry:

1. Start Registry Editor. To do this, click Start, click Run, type
regedit.exe, and then click OK.

If the following registry subkey already exists, go to step 6:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client
2. Click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key. Type
Messenger for the name of the new registry key, and then press ENTER.
4. Click the following registry subkey: key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger
5. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key. Type Client
for the name of the new registry key, and then press ENTER.
6. Click the following registry subkey: key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Messenger\Client
7. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. Type
PreventRun for the name of the new DWORD value and then press ENTER.
8. Right-click the PreventRun value that you created in step 7, and
then click Modify. In theValue data box, type 1, and then click OK.
9. Quit Registry Editor.