G

I am having massive problems installing XP Home on my new system. I've read many posts about others having similar problems on different boards. One of the things they suggest is to make sure you eliminate IRQ conflicts. The XP tech told me it shouldn't matter. When I look in device manager is see USB controller, Highpoint RAID controller, SB16 PCI, GeForce Ti200 (when it shows), DLink NIC all sharing IRQ 11. Is there a way to set these to different IRQs?? The PCI slots can be configured via BIOS (5w) but what about the others?
The problems I'm getting vary, but most seem related to video errors. I also installed NAV/NIS and NIS works perfectly and NAV will not enable. When I goto the config screen and select enable I get a scripting error. These are just a few of the problems i'm having.
Any suggestions or help would be mucho appreciated!

Abit KG7-Raid
Athlon XP 1600+
512 MB PC2100 DDR
WD BB1000 (special 8MB)
WD caviar 7200 (forgot model#)
Gainward GeForce3 Ti200
Panasonic 106s DVD drive
Plextor CD writer (disconnected)
SB16 PCI
DLink DE528 NIC
onboard USB from the KG7

I can't remember if it has onboard gfx or not, but if so make sure its disabled.

Also, disable your onboard sound, AC codec stuff etc.

Assuming you don't plan to use them, disable your COM ports 1 & 2 also.

This should free up any IRQs. If you can, post a list of how all your IRQs are being shared.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

Iseekknowledge

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
After freeing all the extra irq as everybody mentioned when you load your system do it on a formated hd one card at a time starting with video then video driver, chip set driver then modem then :sound,nic, dvd(if it uses a pci card), scsi,others.

Iseekknowledge

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
you might want to try and start all over with a clean drive and nothing but your video and floppy,cd ,hd etc.
Load win add video drivers then chipset driver get system going with just your video card then and one at the time in this order:
modem ,nic, sound, then the rest.SUPPOSEDLY irq sarring it is ok with the new resourse mangnet. I share on irq 11 video,sound ,lan and I have had no problems and my system and video is oc.I used this method of installing the system.

G

I reformatted and did a clean install with just the GF3 installed. XP went in with no problems. Then I started installing apps. Ones that were giving me trouble before (NAV/NIS) work fine now. I put the SB, NIC and CDRoms in. Everythings seems to be ok as far as the IRQs. They still share but that is because XP =makes= them share.
I am still getting graphic problems. Mostly games. Anything that runs in a window will work fine. Anything that changes the video resolution or refresh causes either a black screen (refresh prob) or a system reboot. Upon reboot the "XP" desktop settings (colors and look of the desktop) aren't available any more and the default Win2k/Win98 look is turned on, and the only one available. Rebooting a few times or selecting "last know good config" fixes this problem. Obviously there is something up with the GF3. I've tried all available drivers and the same thing happens.
Many people recommend installing the VIA 4in1 drivers but are these designed for the Abit KG7-Raid?? It uses an AMD761 chipset along with the VIA chipset.

G

I heard that Nvidia drivers have been giving probs with XP.
Try uninstlling the Nvidia base drivers and let XP install the drivers??? Dont no if it will help, but no harm in trying.

TRENDING THREADS