Upgrading to 64bit from 32bit with upgrade disc...

cypherchild

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/27/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-and-product-key-on-formatted-or-empty-blank-hard-drive/

According to that link, I'm assuming I can wipe my HDD (which currently has Windows 7 32bit installed - upgraded from 32bit Vista) and do a fresh install, following the steps, and upgrade to W7 64bit.

Would this be possible, or has this workaround been fixed by MS yet?

Thanks in advance, C.

How generous of MS this time around... LOL. I had to pay $10 for MS to give me a 64-bit Vista disc after paying retail for the 32! This time, I DL'd my Windows 7 x64 ISO.

cypherchild- have fun with the install tomorrow. My Win7 'upgrade' disc activates without any of the tricks in your linked article, although I was prepared to use them because I too was performing a clean install with upgrade media. YMMV.

The nice thing is that the upgrade versions are considered as retail, and qualify for microsoft support.
When I upgraded from XP 32 bit to vista 64 bit There was no way to do it.
I called microsoft support, and they helpfully walked me through the two install method.
That tells me that a clean install using a upgrade license is a supported legitimate thing to do.
I suppose you should really have a precursor OS to be legit.

I think all the install dvd's are exactly the same. They use the product key to differentiate and select what is installed.
The product key is not 32 or 64 bit specific.
I used my 64 bit windows 7 upgrade dvd to change a laptop from 64 to 32 bit using the OEM product key on the laptop.

Ultimately, microsoft wants you to run a legitimate license which you have paid them something for.

TRENDING THREADS