Sign in with
Your question

I-Will XP333-R Queries

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2002 3:15:45 PM

Hi, I am going to be building a new PC fairly soon and wondered if I could have a few questions about the I-Will XP333-R answered.

1) When I set the FSB to 166MHz to take advantage of the pc2700 RAM I plan to buy, will this also overclock my CPU? Or am I able to just increase the speed the FSB goes at, while still having my Athlon XP run at the speed I bought it at (I don’t know how confident I would be about unlocking the CPU to prevent overclocking)?
2) I heard that, after putting the FSB to 166MHz, I would be able to change the speed PCI devices run at. Would this be worth while, ie would the faster RAM be utilised if my PCI devices were still running at their slower speed or would the RAM be idle waiting for my PCI devices to catch up?
3) I was planning to buy the cheapest model of Creative’s Audigy range. Is the onboard audio good enough to mean I don’t need to buy a sound card? (The PC would be used for games and music, no movies or anything. So I would like good quality, but doesn’t need plenty of features(3D sound would be nice though).)

Thanks for any help.

More about : xp333 queries

January 25, 2002 3:47:54 PM

Quote:

Hi, I am going to be building a new PC fairly soon and wondered if I could have a few questions about the I-Will XP333-R answered.

1) When I set the FSB to 166MHz to take advantage of the pc2700 RAM I plan to buy, will this also overclock my CPU? Or am I able to just increase the speed the FSB goes at, while still having my Athlon XP run at the speed I bought it at (I don’t know how confident I would be about unlocking the CPU to prevent overclocking)?
2) I heard that, after putting the FSB to 166MHz, I would be able to change the speed PCI devices run at. Would this be worth while, ie would the faster RAM be utilised if my PCI devices were still running at their slower speed or would the RAM be idle waiting for my PCI devices to catch up?
3) I was planning to buy the cheapest model of Creative’s Audigy range. Is the onboard audio good enough to mean I don’t need to buy a sound card? (The PC would be used for games and music, no movies or anything. So I would like good quality, but doesn’t need plenty of features(3D sound would be nice though).)

1. Well, it WILL overclock your processor if you don't unlock it. If you are worried about that, I'd get a 1.4GHz Athlon (regular Athlon, that's assuming you haven't bought that Athlon XP yet), and run it with an 8.5 multiplier and 166MHz bus, that would give it a 1.41GHz clock speed or it could even handle a multiplier of 9 and a clock speed of 1.5GHz. This is a very mild overclock and won't affect stability or CPU life.

2. Well, look at it this way, if you don't use the divider, your PC WILL be very unstable and crash all the time. The PCI bus is speced at 33MHz and the AGP bus at 66MHz. PCI cards are designed to work on a standard PCI bus and so, raising the PCI may cause your PCI devices to behave strangely or even be destroyed in some cases. So yes the PC divider is important! Yes, there will always be idling but you can't help that, and the extra RAM speed WILL improve system performance.

3. The on-board sound on the IWill is top-notch, matching that of the SoundBlaster Live! You don't sound like you need an Audigy right now. Give the on-board C-Media sound a try first.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2002 4:12:09 PM

Thanks for the speedy responce. I still have a bit more to ask, regaurding what you answered:

Regular Athlons can be unlocked just by drawing a line over some bridges, correct? If I do go for the regular Athlon, how much of a performance differece would this give me, compared to a XP one?
Also, would getting the cheaper one be a better idea, so that I can get one of the Throughbred chips in the near future when they come out for my system (I think it uses the same socket as the XP chips, so no need for a new mobo)?
Related resources
January 25, 2002 4:36:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the speedy responce. I still have a bit more to ask, regaurding what you answered:

Regular Athlons can be unlocked just by drawing a line over some bridges, correct? If I do go for the regular Athlon, how much of a performance differece would this give me, compared to a XP one?
Also, would getting the cheaper one be a better idea, so that I can get one of the Throughbred chips in the near future when they come out for my system (I think it uses the same socket as the XP chips, so no need for a new mobo)?

The newer regular Athlons come unlocked from the factory. An Athlon XP is about 5-10% faster than an Athlon at the same speed, but running the FSB at 166MHz will increase performance up to 15%. Overall, I'd say if you get a 1.4GHz Athlon and run it at 1.5GHz with a 166MHz bus, it'll run about as fast as an Athlon XP 1900+ (1.6GHz) on a 133MHz bus. Yes, there are rumours that the T'Bred will use a 333MHz bus by default and so, an Iwill XP333 should support it.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 26, 2002 2:22:19 PM

Ok, thanks a lot for your help man....
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 27, 2002 7:23:57 PM

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have another question :) 

I am looking to pick up a Alpha PAL8045 to cool my CPU, but read that it needs a special mounting around the CPU, not using the standard clip thing.
I checked Alpha's compatability list, but the IWill XP333-R is not listed in either the compatable or non-compatable list: http://www.micforg.co.jp/mb_inf_pal8045e.html

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this motherboard has the 4 bits around the CPU required (I can't even find an email address on iwill.net to ask them.....).

Thankyou
!