Manage Contacts>Properties does not allow renaming contact

Currently some of the contacts in All Contacts have meaningful names like
Bill, or Sue or Peter, while others simply display meaningless email
addresses. How can I change such meaningless email addresses to something
meaningful like that person's first name?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Forgot to mention I'm running Windows Messenger version 5.1 (5.1.0639) under
XP Pro SP2.

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"Peter Sale" wrote in message ...
> Currently some of the contacts in All Contacts have meaningful names like
> Bill, or Sue or Peter, while others simply display meaningless email
> addresses. How can I change such meaningless email addresses to something
> meaningful like that person's first name?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale

Greetings Peter,

Actually Messenger has never had a renaming contact capability-- the only way to add this is
using Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) *AND* using MSN Messenger (Windows Messenger
won't allow you to do this).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
> Forgot to mention I'm running Windows Messenger version 5.1 (5.1.0639) under XP Pro SP2.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale
> Santa Monica, CA USA
> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
>
> "Peter Sale" wrote in message ...
>> Currently some of the contacts in All Contacts have meaningful names like Bill, or Sue or
>> Peter, while others simply display meaningless email addresses. How can I change such
>> meaningless email addresses to something meaningful like that person's first name?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter Sale

OK, but I just double checked my "All Contacts" list and some contacts are
first name only, some first and last name, and some are just the person's
email address, without a name. Where does Windows Messenger get the names
to display in its Contacts List?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

> Greetings Peter,
>
> Actually Messenger has never had a renaming contact capability-- the only
> way to add this is using Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) *AND*
> using MSN Messenger (Windows Messenger won't allow you to do this).
> Jonathan Kay
>
> "Peter Sale" wrote ...
>> Forgot to mention I'm running Windows Messenger version 5.1 (5.1.0639)
>> under XP Pro SP2.

>> "Peter Sale" wrote in message ...
>>> Currently some of the contacts in All Contacts have meaningful names
>>> like Bill, or Sue or Peter, while others simply display meaningless
>>> email addresses. How can I change such meaningless email addresses to
>>> something meaningful like that person's first name?

Hi Peter,

The names are set by the users as their "display name".

> OK, but I just double checked my "All Contacts" list and some contacts are first name only,
> some first and last name, and some are just the person's email address, without a name.
> Where does Windows Messenger get the names to display in its Contacts List?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale
> Santa Monica, CA USA
> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Greetings Peter,
>>
>> Actually Messenger has never had a renaming contact capability-- the only way to add this
>> is using Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net) *AND* using MSN Messenger (Windows
>> Messenger won't allow you to do this).
>> Jonathan Kay
>>
>> "Peter Sale" wrote ...
>>> Forgot to mention I'm running Windows Messenger version 5.1 (5.1.0639) under XP Pro SP2.

Well that explains it. Many thanks for the reply.

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

> Hi Peter,
>
> The names are set by the users as their "display name".
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
>> OK, but I just double checked my "All Contacts" list and some contacts
>> are first name only, some first and last name, and some are just the
>> person's email address, without a name. Where does Windows Messenger get
>> the names to display in its Contacts List?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter Sale
>> Santa Monica, CA USA
>> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
>>
>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>>> Greetings Peter,
>>>
>>> Actually Messenger has never had a renaming contact capability-- the
>>> only way to add this is using Messenger Plus (http://www.msgplus.net)
>>> *AND* using MSN Messenger (Windows Messenger won't allow you to do
>>> this).
>>> Jonathan Kay
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
>>>
>>> "Peter Sale" wrote ...

Hi Peter,

No problem.