PIII mobo help!

G

Can anyone tell me, from your experience, wich one is the best mobo for PIII? I am currently using a DFI CA63-EN.

Thank you!!!

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ABIT BX133R. Everything else battles for second place. Also, any decent BX board (like my BF6) will be fine. I think the AGP4x vs 2x may be a little misleading, since I don't know of too many scenarios that would show the inadequacies of AGP2x, but someone with more knowledge on this matter may correct me.

I am currently running a Celeron 1200/100/256k on my ABIT BF6. It is slightly overclocked on a 118MHz FSB (1416MHz), or 124MHz FSb (1490MHz) if I remove my SCSI controller. I am using 2 sticks of Micron CAS2 PC133.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

Guilty intel proven innocent

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're using a Tualatin CPU, the TUSL2-C, if the Coppermine, the BX133-RAID.

One more thing concernig the BX133-RAID-Powerleap will be producing an FC-PGA to FC-PGA2 adapter should you be using a Coppermine now but want upgradability to a Tualatin.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're using the BF6, with an IP3/T, correct? What voltage are you using? How did you modify it? Any attempts at 1600/133? That would be using the 1/4 PCI divider to get your SCSI card back in spec.

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crash, I made no voltage changes, nor do I know what changes are necessary. The only thing I touched was the FSB. Anyway, I am not much into the overclodking scene, but gave a it try for a while. I am using the stock fan that came with the 1200 Tually & 2 sticks of Micron 256MB CAS2 PC133.

Here's what I did:

Increased the FSB bit-by-bit until it wouldn't boot. My SCSI card gave out at 118MHz (error about files missing/corrupt). If I removed it & booted to a IDE drive (loaded with NT4), I could reach 124MHz FSB. Anything above that & I wouldn't see post.

I backed it down to 118MHz FSB & my SCSI card was fine & I ran it heavily (lots of 3D gaming) for 2 days before restoring it back to default. To me it's just not worth the paranoia of possibly junking very expensive SCSI hardware. Also, I couldn't notice a "real life" difference between 1200MHz & almost 1500MHz. I might be turning my BF6 machine into a Counter-Strike server, so overclocking is definitely out.

As a side note, I am amazed how cool the Tually runs. The heatsink is barely even warm.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I love my Abit BX6 Rev 2. I have P3 1GHz with 1Gig of RAM on it. I was going to change to Asus TUSL2-C but decide to stay with my Abit BX6 Rev 2 because Asus TUSL2-C only support 512MB of RAM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, but evidently there may be a few duds out there. I remeber the first CPU I couldn't overclock-it was a Celeron 633 that wouldn't go past ~700. But I was sorely disappointed when this tually wouldn't overclock.
It could be a problem with the board maybe. While I've verified this board at higher bus speeds with Coppermines, there may be a timing issue preventing the faster Tually from going over?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On the Powerleap, I left it jumpered at 100MHz FSB, <b>not</b> 133MHz FSB. Then I increased FSB in the BIOS. What is weird is that if I physically jumper the Powerleap at either 100 or 133, <b>no</b> difference is noted by the Powerleap cpu utility or even wcpuid (I have version 3.0c) > both show it as a 1200 (12 x 100), although the latter thinks it's a XEON (I wished, hehe).

It is hilarious seeing peoples faces that see my pc boot, because it's shown as a PIII @ 167MHz or something, lol.

Here are a couple pics of how my BF6 deals with the Powerleap + Tualatin marriage:

<A HREF="http://ftp.shaw.ca/thano/Cel OC/" target="_new">http://ftp.shaw.ca/thano/Cel OC/</A>

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy