Auto Logon of Messenger

Outlook Express automatically logs me into Windows Messenger. Sometimes it is
not immediate but sooner or later the icon on the notification bar will
indicate
I am logged in.

I do not have "Run Windows Messenger when Windows Starts" checked. How can I
keep it from logging in until I ask it to?

--
Mickey

Greetings Mickey,

To stop this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Mickey" <Mickey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Outlook Express automatically logs me into Windows Messenger. Sometimes it is
> not immediate but sooner or later the icon on the notification bar will
> indicate
> I am logged in.
>
> I do not have "Run Windows Messenger when Windows Starts" checked. How can I
> keep it from logging in until I ask it to?
>
> --
> Mickey

Thank you for your help. I'm sure you know what you are doing but I don't
like to run code that someone has given me without understanding it. Can you
tell me what the problem is and what the file does? Is there another solution
without touching the registry? Would it be better to just leave it alone? Is
there any overhead by being loggged on even though I have no "buddy list"?

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Mickey,
>
> To stop this behavior, close Outlook Express, then download and run the following .reg file:
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/downloads/stopmessenger_oe.reg
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Mickey" <Mickey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Outlook Express automatically logs me into Windows Messenger. Sometimes it is
> > not immediate but sooner or later the icon on the notification bar will
> > indicate
> > I am logged in.
> >
> > I do not have "Run Windows Messenger when Windows Starts" checked. How can I
> > keep it from logging in until I ask it to?
> >
> > --
> > Mickey

TRENDING THREADS