Windows - MSN Messenger, Why?

January 14, 2005 11:32:35 PM

Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for
the longest time, but thinking of going with msn messenger, since Microsoft
dropped letting you know you have hotmail with the newest version of Windows
msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions that are a lot alike?
thanks

More about : windows msn messenger

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 12:47:06 AM

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 2:37:50 AM

Windows Messenger - business
MSN Messenger - consumer

"Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
> Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for
> the longest time, but thinking of going with msn messenger, since
> Microsoft dropped letting you know you have hotmail with the newest
> version of Windows msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions that are
> a lot alike?
> thanks

January 15, 2005 3:45:41 AM

Greetings,

To understand this, you must understand the differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface,
etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM
Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the most basic
functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of personal
choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on
Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
> Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for the longest time,
> but thinking of going with msn messenger, since Microsoft dropped letting you know you have
> hotmail with the newest version of Windows msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions
> that are a lot alike?
> thanks

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 10:58:34 PM

thought to utilize netmeeting you had to have msn messenger, not windwos
messenger?
> Greetings,
>
> To understand this, you must understand the differences between the two.
> Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom
> emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
> supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc.
> Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the most basic
> functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a
> matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows
> Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger
> to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application
> Sharing, etc.).
>
> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
> Profiles, MSN Mobile,
> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
> (Exchange Server,
> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>

> "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for
>> the longest time, but thinking of going with msn messenger, since
>> Microsoft dropped letting you know you have hotmail with the newest
>> version of Windows msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions that are
>> a lot alike?
>> thanks

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 1:37:45 AM