Windows - MSN Messenger, Why?

Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for
the longest time, but thinking of going with msn messenger, since Microsoft
dropped letting you know you have hotmail with the newest version of Windows
msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions that are a lot alike?
thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about windows messenger

    Windows Messenger - business
    MSN Messenger - consumer

    "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for
    > the longest time, but thinking of going with msn messenger, since
    > Microsoft dropped letting you know you have hotmail with the newest
    > version of Windows msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions that are
    > a lot alike?
    > thanks

    Greetings,

    To understand this, you must understand the differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
    Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface,
    etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM
    Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the most basic
    functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of personal
    choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on
    Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for the longest time,
    > but thinking of going with msn messenger, since Microsoft dropped letting you know you have
    > hotmail with the newest version of Windows msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions
    > that are a lot alike?
    > thanks

    thought to utilize netmeeting you had to have msn messenger, not windwos
    messenger?
    > Greetings,
    >
    > To understand this, you must understand the differences between the two.
    > Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom
    > emoticons, has a different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger
    > supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM Server, etc.
    > Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the most basic
    > functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a
    > matter of personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows
    > Messenger must still be installed on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger
    > to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, Application
    > Sharing, etc.).
    >
    > MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member
    > Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    > etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies
    > (Exchange Server,
    > Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    >> Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for
    >> the longest time, but thinking of going with msn messenger, since
    >> Microsoft dropped letting you know you have hotmail with the newest
    >> version of Windows msg. Seems a little weird to keep to versions that are
    >> a lot alike?
    >> thanks

    Hi,

    Not on XP.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    > thought to utilize netmeeting you had to have msn messenger, not windwos messenger?
    > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> To understand this, you must understand the differences between the two. Most notably, MSN
    >> Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a different interface,
    >> etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications services, Exchange IM
    >> Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the most basic
    >> functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of personal
    >> choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed on
    >> Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    >> Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).
    >>
    >> MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN
    >> Mobile,
    >> etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    >> Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    >> Jonathan Kay
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "Brucefl" <Thisisnotreal@no.com> wrote in message
    >>> Is there a reason Microsoft has two versions. I had used Windows msg. for the longest
    >>> time, but thinking of going with msn messenger, since Microsoft dropped letting you know
    >>> you have hotmail with the newest version of Windows msg. Seems a little weird to keep to
    >>> versions that are a lot alike?
    >>> thanks

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP