Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help :-}

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:14:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

So far tonight i've installed (the same) new DVD writer into two
machines - first a generic box with off the shelf components (Athlon
XP2000), and latterly into my wifes Dim 2400 (2.6Ghz Celery, A05 BIOS).

The drive itself is an LG GSA-4163-B 16x, and the first DVD drive i`ve
owned.

I found the performance on the generic machine quite poor, but as I
suspected I might have had some I/O issues with it for a while I changed
the jumper to CSEL and put it in the Dim on the second connector of the
existing CD drive.

The first boot went normally, but on subsequent boots i'm getting a
delay on the BIOS screen with "primary drive 1 not found".

The drives are both detected and named correctly in the BIOS drive
config, so i'm a little confused what is going on here.

Can anyone advise ?

TIA :-}

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****

More about : question

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:14:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I'm doing this from memory, but I believe you don't have a Primary drive 1.
That's the second connetor on the cable with the hard drive. That spot
doesn't exist on a 2400.

Go into the BIOS. There are four drives and they should be

Primary 0 - AUTO
Primary 1 - OFF
Secondary 0 - AUTO
Secondary 1 - AUTO

Make sure your DVD drive is Cable Select.

You may have to play around as I may have the terms wrong.

Tom
"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1d804a33fa57f0d198b3b1@news.individual.net...
> So far tonight i've installed (the same) new DVD writer into two
> machines - first a generic box with off the shelf components (Athlon
> XP2000), and latterly into my wifes Dim 2400 (2.6Ghz Celery, A05 BIOS).
>
> The drive itself is an LG GSA-4163-B 16x, and the first DVD drive i`ve
> owned.
>
> I found the performance on the generic machine quite poor, but as I
> suspected I might have had some I/O issues with it for a while I changed
> the jumper to CSEL and put it in the Dim on the second connector of the
> existing CD drive.
>
> The first boot went normally, but on subsequent boots i'm getting a
> delay on the BIOS screen with "primary drive 1 not found".
>
> The drives are both detected and named correctly in the BIOS drive
> config, so i'm a little confused what is going on here.
>
> Can anyone advise ?
>
> TIA :-}
>
> --
> Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
> **** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
September 1, 2005 4:14:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Being a DVD, it might want to be master. Try putting it on the Master
connector (end) to see if the performance improves.

Clark

Colin Wilson wrote:
> So far tonight i've installed (the same) new DVD writer into two
> machines - first a generic box with off the shelf components (Athlon
> XP2000), and latterly into my wifes Dim 2400 (2.6Ghz Celery, A05 BIOS).
>
> The drive itself is an LG GSA-4163-B 16x, and the first DVD drive i`ve
> owned.
>
> I found the performance on the generic machine quite poor, but as I
> suspected I might have had some I/O issues with it for a while I changed
> the jumper to CSEL and put it in the Dim on the second connector of the
> existing CD drive.
>
> The first boot went normally, but on subsequent boots i'm getting a
> delay on the BIOS screen with "primary drive 1 not found".
>
> The drives are both detected and named correctly in the BIOS drive
> config, so i'm a little confused what is going on here.
>
> Can anyone advise ?
>
> TIA :-}
>
Related resources
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:52:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> Go into the BIOS. There are four drives and they should be
> Primary 0 - AUTO
> Primary 1 - OFF
> Secondary 0 - AUTO
> Secondary 1 - AUTO

That definitely seemed to help - doing a couple of trial reboots to
check :-)

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:52:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> Being a DVD, it might want to be master. Try putting it on the Master
> connector (end) to see if the performance improves.

I'll give it a shot thanks

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 5:21:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

> > Being a DVD, it might want to be master. Try putting it on the Master
> > connector (end) to see if the performance improves.
> I'll give it a shot thanks

OK, drives swapped over, and i`m copying one I made earlier using
dvdshrink (straight forward copy in Nero)

It seems to be reading the disc at some highly variable speeds, ranging
from <1Mb/sec to 5.5Mb/sec, and is only on 40% after 7 minutes.

Is this about normal for a standard read ?

(haven`t got as far as re-burning it yet...)

Cheers, and thanks for putting up with what are probably quite mundane
questions :-}

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and "@btinternet.com" ****
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:36:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Check in device manager (control panel> system >device manager) and make
sure your drives are in ATA mode, not PIO.

Colin Wilson wrote:
>>>Being a DVD, it might want to be master. Try putting it on the Master
>>>connector (end) to see if the performance improves.
>>
>>I'll give it a shot thanks
>
>
> OK, drives swapped over, and i`m copying one I made earlier using
> dvdshrink (straight forward copy in Nero)
>
> It seems to be reading the disc at some highly variable speeds, ranging
> from <1Mb/sec to 5.5Mb/sec, and is only on 40% after 7 minutes.
>
> Is this about normal for a standard read ?
>
> (haven`t got as far as re-burning it yet...)
>
> Cheers, and thanks for putting up with what are probably quite mundane
> questions :-}
>
!