Best Asus MB for 1 GB PIII

dbunger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What is the best Asus MB for my PIII 1GB/133 CPU ?
I don't want to go DDR Ram or any kind of Raid. I am looking at the TUV4X is their another MB from Asus I'm overlooking ? Thx

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
do you mean a P-III 1 GHz with 133 MHz FSB or any P-III running at 133 MHz FSB with 1 GB of memory?

If you need memory in excess of 512 MB, the 815EP based TUSL2-C is no use, but it is the best board for the P-III!

The CUBX-E can be a much better board than the TUV4X, but it supports just AGP2X. So, TUV4X might be the best choice so far.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
you need to go to tom's article and read about the best 370 boards
<A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q2/000525/" target="_new">http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q2/000525/</A>

dbunger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Is the TUV4X only AGP 2X ? Is their another Asus MB that supports AGP 4X ? that will work good with my PIII 1.0BG/133 ? Thx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't buy a crappy VIA chipset motherboard, VIA is the source of most AMD problems. The TUSL2-C is a great board, limited to 512MB, which is OK for most people. And it supports Tualatins should you decide latter to upgrade.

Otherwise I would suggest a Slot 1 board with the BX. The BX chipset outperforms all other SDRAM chipsets in memory performance, more than making up for it's AGP2x limit. The reason I would suggest Slot 1 for the BX is that Powerleap makes an adapter for Tualatins, but it's Slot 1. Keep this in mind for future upgradability.

The only problem being that the Asus Slot 1 BX board (P2B series) does not support the adapter (it's one of the few that doesn't). Which is why I suggest an Abit BE6-II or BF6.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
he still hasnt clarified what does he mean by a P-III 1GB/133 MHz!

If its P-III 1 GHz/133 MHz then I recommended him the TUSL2/C, but if its <i>any</i> P-III w/133 MHz FSB <i>and</i> 1 GB of memory, and needs AGP4X support, he might be stuck with the VIA TUV4X, which also supports Tualatins.

I guess in any case, Asus CUBX-E is the board for him, void AGP4X.

P2B-F has BIOS problems detecting the PL-IP3T, but P3B-F is officially supported, but where is it????

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, since the BX outperforms the i815 (even with the lower AGP rating) in game benchmarks (do to its better use of memory), and the i815 beats ALL VIA chipset for Intel, then the BX sounds like the winner. That Soyo board looks pretty good for the money!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?