Group Policy for Messenger

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

I want to set a Group Policy on a 2K Server to prevent some users from being
allowed access to MSN Messenger (basically, boss has seen people using it
during Office Hours to talk to mates).

Is there a 2K Group Policy that can be applied at Server level?

I've seen the registry hack for XP, but don't really want to go round 240
clients doing that.....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

As you have noted, the GP for MSN Messenger applies only to XP machines.
Despite this, you coulc apply the registry change you mentioned via network
login script (machine / user) to achieve the same results.

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks!

"Kelly Jones Eyebrows" wrote:

> I want to set a Group Policy on a 2K Server to prevent some users from being
> allowed access to MSN Messenger (basically, boss has seen people using it
> during Office Hours to talk to mates).
>
> Is there a 2K Group Policy that can be applied at Server level?
>
> I've seen the registry hack for XP, but don't really want to go round 240
> clients doing that.....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi,

Actually it applies only to Windows Messenger (Windows Messenger 5 and above will work on
2000 and the policy will apply for that). There is no Group Policy to stop MSN Messenger
(besides using the standard Windows policies for blocking applications).
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
Associate Expert

"Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
> As you have noted, the GP for MSN Messenger applies only to XP machines.
> Despite this, you coulc apply the registry change you mentioned via network
> login script (machine / user) to achieve the same results.
>
> Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks!
>

> "Kelly Jones Eyebrows" wrote:
>
>> I want to set a Group Policy on a 2K Server to prevent some users from being
>> allowed access to MSN Messenger (basically, boss has seen people using it
>> during Office Hours to talk to mates).
>>
>> Is there a 2K Group Policy that can be applied at Server level?
>>
>> I've seen the registry hack for XP, but don't really want to go round 240
>> clients doing that.....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Couldn't the port that MSN Messenger uses be blocked on the router so that
no MSN Messenger traffic would be allowed to pass through in either
direction? Depending on the router or firewall you are using, I would look
into this.

> Hi,
>
> Actually it applies only to Windows Messenger (Windows Messenger 5 and
> above will work on 2000 and the policy will apply for that). There is no
> Group Policy to stop MSN Messenger (besides using the standard Windows
> policies for blocking applications).
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> Associate Expert
>
> "Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
>> As you have noted, the GP for MSN Messenger applies only to XP machines.
>> Despite this, you coulc apply the registry change you mentioned via
>> network
>> login script (machine / user) to achieve the same results.
>>
>> Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks!
>>

>> "Kelly Jones Eyebrows" wrote:
>>
>>> I want to set a Group Policy on a 2K Server to prevent some users from
>>> being
>>> allowed access to MSN Messenger (basically, boss has seen people using
>>> it
>>> during Office Hours to talk to mates).
>>>
>>> Is there a 2K Group Policy that can be applied at Server level?
>>>
>>> I've seen the registry hack for XP, but don't really want to go round
>>> 240
>>> clients doing that.....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Hi Steve,

Messenger uses port 80 if its default port of 1863 isn't available -- so unless you want to
stop all web traffic, this isn't recommended.

Blocking connections to *.msgr.hotmail.com should stop it however.

"Steve Martin" <stevenmartin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Couldn't the port that MSN Messenger uses be blocked on the router so that no MSN Messenger
> traffic would be allowed to pass through in either direction? Depending on the router or
> firewall you are using, I would look into this.
>

> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually it applies only to Windows Messenger (Windows Messenger 5 and above will work on
>> 2000 and the policy will apply for that). There is no Group Policy to stop MSN Messenger
>> (besides using the standard Windows policies for blocking applications).
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Microsoft MVP - MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> "Desmond Lee" <mcp@donotspamplease.mars> wrote in message
>>> As you have noted, the GP for MSN Messenger applies only to XP machines.
>>> Despite this, you coulc apply the registry change you mentioned via network
>>> login script (machine / user) to achieve the same results.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks!

jw

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

use the Group Policy in XP that Jonathan referred to when he said

"...(besides using the standard Windows policies for blocking
applications)"

you can use it to block not only MSN Messenger, but also Win Messenger,
Netscape Messenger, and any other instant messenger program you have.

> Hi Steve,
>
> Messenger uses port 80 if its default port of 1863 isn't available -- so
> unless you want to stop all web traffic, this isn't recommended.
>
> Blocking connections to *.msgr.hotmail.com should stop it however.

Jonathan has it right. If you want to stop people from using Messenger
block TCP port 1863 and HTTP access to messenger.hotmail.com and
webmessenger.msn.com.

--
Regards,

Jeff Wilkes

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Sorry Gents,

I only need to block some users and as I use DHCP I can't lock the Firewall
down by IP because the next time the user logs in they may have a different
IP.

I think blocking the exe using GP might be the best solution.....

Thinks????

"Jeff Wilkes [MS]" <jwilkes@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> Messenger uses port 80 if its default port of 1863 isn't available -- so
>> unless you want to stop all web traffic, this isn't recommended.
>>
>> Blocking connections to *.msgr.hotmail.com should stop it however.
>
> Jonathan has it right. If you want to stop people from using Messenger
> block TCP port 1863 and HTTP access to messenger.hotmail.com and
> webmessenger.msn.com.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Jeff Wilkes
> rights.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

You can't block by host name?

"Kelly Jones Eyebrows" <craig.hummer@lhgp.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sorry Gents,
>
> I only need to block some users and as I use DHCP I can't lock the
> Firewall down by IP because the next time the user logs in they may have a
> different IP.
>
> I think blocking the exe using GP might be the best solution.....
>
> Thinks????
>

> "Jeff Wilkes [MS]" <jwilkes@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Steve,
>>>
>>> Messenger uses port 80 if its default port of 1863 isn't available -- so
>>> unless you want to stop all web traffic, this isn't recommended.
>>>
>>> Blocking connections to *.msgr.hotmail.com should stop it however.
>>
>> Jonathan has it right. If you want to stop people from using Messenger
>> block TCP port 1863 and HTTP access to messenger.hotmail.com and
>> webmessenger.msn.com.
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jeff Wilkes
>> rights.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.msn.messenger,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Unfortunately my firewall accepts hostname but immediately resolves them to
their IP, so technically I could end up blocking someone I want to have
access in a couple of weeks....

Methinks my firewall is not as good as I first thought...