Mobo Research - Looking for Good Overviews

G

I'm going to begin building my own computer in the next month. I've decided to get an IWILL XP333-R. I am hoping to find a hardware site, such as this one, with a description of all components of a mobo...on the level of exactly how the FSB interacts with the clock speed of RAM, and what unlocking a CPU does...etc. Ive looked through THG, but havent found anything related to specifically this. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

-Logan

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FSB is the frequency the processor works on. It internally multiplies the FSB to get a higher core speed. Usually, FSB is limited just to the processor in the sense it is the speed at which it interacts with the Northbridge (or the CPU Host, the main chip on the motherboard you refer to). The chipset can then run synchronously (at the same FSB speeds) or asynchronously (different speeds than the FSB) with memory, but usually its synchronous and raising the FSB also increases memory speed.

All the other frequencies are derived from the FSB, its divided by 3 (for 100 MHz FSB) or 4 (for 133 MHz FSB) and possibly by 5 (for still higher FSBs, but not many boards support this divider) to run the PCI bus. The AGP bus runs at 1/2 or 2/3 of the FSB. This makes a standard speeds of PCI and AGP bus to be 33 MHz and 66 MHz.

Usually, starting with 0.25u P-IIs or thereabouts, Intel started locking the multipliers of their CPUs in order to prevent fradualant sales. before that, the multiplier was supposed to be set on the motherboard by way of jumpers. Setting a higher than specified multiplier would make the processor run faster. What Intel did was to program the multiplier permenantly inside the CPU so that it cannot be tampered with. AMD does the same thing, but does provide a backdoor to modify the processor and "unlock" the multiplier and be able to actually change the multiplier to run the CPU at a different than rated speed.

You can read <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">this article (a bit outdated though now)</A> of mine on this forum itself for a bit more info on chipsets. ;-)

the Iwill XP333 is a good board, but make sure you buy the latest revisions of the board, initial models ones were the same PCB of the older KA266, just with a XP333 sticker on the originl silkscreen saying KA266!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS