Failed Renewing IP Address?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 6:40:11 PM

I recently changed laptops going from a Toshiba Satellite with Linksys
wireless card to a IBM X40 with built in b/g access. The previous setup was
working fine. I am unable to get an internet connection even though the
wireless network is working loud and clear. When I attempt to do a "repair"
on the wireless connection I get "failed renewing IP address". My router is
a Linksys WRT54G and I am running XP Pro on both the desktop and laptop
computers. I am also using a WPA shared key. Any ideas?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 7, 2004 8:47:57 PM

"Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I recently changed laptops going from a Toshiba Satellite with Linksys
> wireless card to a IBM X40 with built in b/g access. The previous setup
was
> working fine. I am unable to get an internet connection even though the
> wireless network is working loud and clear. When I attempt to do a
"repair"
> on the wireless connection I get "failed renewing IP address". My router
is
> a Linksys WRT54G and I am running XP Pro on both the desktop and laptop
> computers. I am also using a WPA shared key. Any ideas?

If the computer's wireless software reports that you are "associated" with
the access point, but you can't get an IP address, then you're probably
having encryption problems. Double check the WPA key.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 8, 2004 4:45:52 PM

You were correct! If I disable WPA I can network fine. I have
double-checked my pass phrase on both the laptop and router and they are
identical yet when I enable WPA I can't connect.

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I recently changed laptops going from a Toshiba Satellite with Linksys
> > wireless card to a IBM X40 with built in b/g access. The previous setup
> was
> > working fine. I am unable to get an internet connection even though the
> > wireless network is working loud and clear. When I attempt to do a
> "repair"
> > on the wireless connection I get "failed renewing IP address". My
router
> is
> > a Linksys WRT54G and I am running XP Pro on both the desktop and laptop
> > computers. I am also using a WPA shared key. Any ideas?
>
> If the computer's wireless software reports that you are "associated" with
> the access point, but you can't get an IP address, then you're probably
> having encryption problems. Double check the WPA key.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

a b F Wireless
July 8, 2004 6:57:34 PM

Dave G wrote:

> You were correct! If I disable WPA I can network fine. I have
> double-checked my pass phrase on both the laptop and router and they are
> identical yet when I enable WPA I can't connect.

Do you use XP's interface for your wifi ? If you can, prefer the card's
own interface (I am used to dlink programs, that work well...) as it was
sometimes the cause of the problem.

Aphrael.
--
"La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines." Thomas
Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

AFAIK, there isn't a standard for transforming a passphrase into keys. You
might have better luck entering hexadecimal keys directly.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

> You were correct! If I disable WPA I can network fine. I have
> double-checked my pass phrase on both the laptop and router and they are
> identical yet when I enable WPA I can't connect.
>

> "Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message
> > "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I recently changed laptops going from a Toshiba Satellite with Linksys
> > > wireless card to a IBM X40 with built in b/g access. The previous
setup
> > was
> > > working fine. I am unable to get an internet connection even though
the
> > > wireless network is working loud and clear. When I attempt to do a
> > "repair"
> > > on the wireless connection I get "failed renewing IP address". My
> router
> > is
> > > a Linksys WRT54G and I am running XP Pro on both the desktop and
laptop
> > > computers. I am also using a WPA shared key. Any ideas?
> >
> > If the computer's wireless software reports that you are "associated"
with
> > the access point, but you can't get an IP address, then you're probably
> > having encryption problems. Double check the WPA key.
> >
> > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 8, 2004 10:08:55 PM

> AFAIK, there isn't a standard for transforming a passphrase into keys.
> You might have better luck entering hexadecimal keys directly.

Of course, to make life interesting, there's no standard for that either.
But yes, the differences between the various ways to write the hex key are
much smaller.

Stefan
!