Intel or AMD, need your opinion!

than

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
I am thinking to build a system for video editing. I planned to buy a AMD AthlonXP 1800+, Soyo dragon plus mb with 256 DDR Ran. Since the DDR RAM's price is up,the 256M DDR is similar to 256M RD RAM. Now I incline to buy the Petium IV 1.8GHz, Asus P4T-E and 256 RDRAM. Any comments?

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
AXP 1800+ vs P4 1800...AXP will be on top.
get the xp...not only is it faster....but cheaper too.

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad:

MadCarrot

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
Having run an Asus A7M266/Athlonn 1.33GHz for the past six months, I have to be honest and say that it hasn't been as easy as I thought it would be. Running W98SE, I have more BSOD than before, more software glitches and other niggles (IDE ZIP drive not working, PCI slot conflicts) that I'm beginnin to wonder exactly how compatible the Athlon chipsets are. Also, the lack of thermal protection on the AMD chips shows a slight lack of thought on AMD's side.

When I come to change this machine, I may well go back to an Intel chip.

On the whole, I'm reasonably happy with AMD, but they're not quite there yet.

MC

G

Mad carrat, for every user like u who has problems, there are many who are perfectly happy with AMD systems..
And your problems may not necessarily be bcoz of Athlon or its chipset "incompatibilities"..Problems more often arise bcoz people cant use PC's well...
Almost every one I know had a P3/Celeron an year ago. All of my friends (nine to be precise) have got an Athlon/Duron. I have not seen a single problem with any of these machines which they use for games, A/V editing, Photoshop, LANserver etc.
Most importantly, we have found AMD mc's to be faster than comparable Intel offerings.
AMD is a more reliable platform too. Their future(next one yr atleast) Athlons will fit on current mobos..
Intel has no idea where its going and ends up screwing peoples upgrade plans.(eg 423pin users sre stuck, RDRAM is still uncertain, SDRAM/DDr dosent seeem to be good enough, 533 bus speed future P4's will not work on current mobos)

And lastly a XP 1800+ is faster than a P4 1.8ghz

If you go with Intel, Googlegear seems to have the best prices on the 1.6 and 1.8 Northwood cpus (512k). The 2.0 and 2.2 are still a little pricey. They also have excellent prices on sis 645 chipset boards. The MSI version is only $87. I've been reading about a blue AMD cpu on 2 different websites that clocks at 2666 megahurtz. Most people think it's a fake, but what if it was real. It would make me think twice about going with Intel.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, its good to have not only a Compatriot, a Townmate too!

Well, AMD platform is the most stable platform, it does not have to worry about voltages, form factor or packaging. Even the Barton processor will fit on any socket A boadr you have today.

Whereas Intel doesnt seem to be really caring about the customers, especially in the desktop segment. They have moved their best performing processor the P3 away from the reach of a common user.

They are promoting a sloppy P4 with utterly misleading figures like 400 MHz FSB and fancy words like Netburst Architecture, what people are really concerned is how fast it will perform an dnot how good it looks.

Apart from frequently changing sockets and interfaces and the user forced to buy a new board each time he/she even thinks of a upgrade, they havent even brought newer chipsets in time. eg. the Tehma-E or i850E (supporting 533 MHz FSB) should been brought in earlier and stabilised by now but they are launching it along with the Northwood B (533 MHz FSB P4s) so I am forced to suggest non-Intel boards (like the Asus P4T-E) for better upgradeability. Of course, it actually is a much better solution than original Intel boards.

They seem to be toying with their premium customers, P4 of today that was brought at earth shattering prices will be relegated to value (essentially meaning <i>slow</i> and <i>cheap</i>) status as the Celeron of tommorow! What have those who brought the Williamette P4 at 500+ dollars done to Intel?

Really, one would like to ask, what the heck is intel doing???

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Both XP1800+ and P4 are pretty good, but P4 is still pricey, the 1800+ even outperforms the 2.0 GHz P4 and costs much less. If you go for AMD, get the Asus A7V266-E, the onboard RAID would help. For a P4 system, theres no second opinion, Asus P4T-E is the one!

You might be interested in Dual AthlonXP system with Asus A7M266-D which would cost a bit more than a P4 setup.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>