Soltek SL-75DRV2 bootup problems

G

After reading such good early reviews on this board I went ahead and purchased a Soltek SL-75DRV2 mainborad for a new PC I was building:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Micron 256MB DDR SDRAM [CAS 2.5]
Primary IDE master:
Quantum AS 40GB
Secondary IDE:
Master: Ricoh 7200
Slave: Samsung SD616 DVD
Video: PixelView GeForce2 MX400 64MB
Case, PSU and cooling:
Auriga 2100 midi tower, Enermax 400W PSU, extra exhaust fan on rear of case, Thermaltake Volcano 7 HSF
CPU temp averaging at about 45C

After 6 weeks of mostly smooth running - I say mostly because there has been the odd time where I've booted up after having moved the PC (from work to home) and the system has shut down after 2-3 seconds. This has come right usually after removing and reseating video card or memory. I can only put this problem down to improper grounding or cards coming loose. Now I have a problem at bootup where the hard drive fails to be detected. I've removed the hard drive and installed on an other PC and I can read data off it fine. I've tried another hard drive as primary IDE master and it has been detected fine at startup. When I put the original drive back in it picked up and booted up fine. A few days later I had the same error again: Primary IDE master failed. When going into setup the drive is not detected at all. When testing the drive in another PC again it is detected fine however when installing again on the SL-75DRV2 it fails to pick up.

Has anyone had similar problems with this board?

svol

Champion
Check if your drive isn't running to hot.
I know somebody who has similair problems on a MSI board with also a Quantum AS but with Windows98, sometimes his system suddenly freesed or the drive couldn't be detected by the BIOS. My conclusion was that his drive was running to hot, although the CPU temps was around 45C.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

The drive did seem to be running a little hot (when it was working). I didn't take any measurments though - it just seemed to run hotter than other drives. While it was working I've had it running fine without any lock-ups or freezing.

JOHNBOYY2G

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2001
Ive had the same problem with my sl75drv2 detecting
my cd-rom. 55% of the time it misses the drive and
45% finds it. Also I have changed the IDE cable and which
IDE port I used and the same problem occurs only on the
cd-rom. When I manually forced the drive into the Bios
it then "recognized" the drive, I saved exited and restart...suprise it's not there again.

My case is open, there is no heat problem. I am
regretting this purchase!

svol

Champion
When I was reinstalling Windows on that system I had the case open, after I closed it and restarted Windows to install some more patches it suddenly locked up when I was doing one of the installs, when I opened the case and restarted Windows it wouldn't lock up anymore and I could install several patches and apps.
Very strange drive it is.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .