Swiftech MCX462 Doesn't Fit Soltek SL-75DRV2?

kelston

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
I'm looking into getting the Soltek SL-75DRV2(or 4 or 5 or 6) or the Abit KR7A, however, I seem to have encountered a problem with the Soltek's limit on heatsink size. According to Soltek, the board won't fit the Swiftech MCX462. Does anyone have the Soltek and the Swiftech and can verify whether or not this is the case (pun not intended)?

If it is, what boards will fit the Swiftech? Will the Soyo Dragon Plus? The KR7A?

IveGotYourHooD

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
Well, Originally I would say that you shouldn't select a mobo on the fact that a cpu cooler would fit it, but I too am building a system with a soltek sl-75drv2. I don't have a cpu yet (plan on getting an athlon xp 1900+) and would like to know if a swift tech would fit it. It is sketchy though; a review on this site even stated that the swift tech hsf (forget model #) was over the weight specs defined for AMD certification for a cpu cooler. Even if you were to get it installed, you run the risk of putting too much weight on the cpu and of it falling off when you move your system around. I would just get a board that I personally liked, THEN buy a cpu cooler for it =). sl-75drv2s and drv4s are excellent boards though. The soyo dragon + isn't so bad either, the integrated networking is a very nice feature.

kelston

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
I was under the impression the weight spec didn't matter because of the mounting method of the Swiftech where it screws into the motherboard rather than clipping on to the socket.

On top of that, i'm not going to be using thermal paste, instead i'm using thermal grease, so the heatsink isn't glued on to the CPU. And to further add to that, I rarely move my PC at all, unless it's to upgrade a card or clean out dust.

But anyway, I have gotten no reply from Soltek on whether or not the Swiftech will fit (Soltek posted the dimensions of the delta 80mm fan and said it won't fit but the Swiftech is 75mm x 75mm and i don't believe Soltek took into account the screwing rather than clipping).

G

<i>..."I was under the impression the weight spec didn't matter because of the mounting method of the Swiftech where it screws into the motherboard rather than clipping on to the socket...."</i>

Yes. Basically that is correct.

With 700 plus grams of weight due mostly to the copper material, the Swifties exceed AMD's specs by over a 2 to 1 margin.

However, that fact in itself isn't going to damage the CPU, just as long as you carefully mount all four sides and making sure that all four spring loaded screws are proportionally tightened down.

Despite its massive size/weight, I've never had a problem where the CPU has been cracked, nor should you or anyone else.