Sign in with
Your question

Dual P4 or Athlon XP motherboards?

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 28, 2002 8:08:37 PM

Just wondering if there are any dual P4 or dual Athlon XP motherboards and if so, could someone please recommend a model/vendor?

Thanks,
Nathan Cooper
January 29, 2002 6:25:49 AM

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to use it for (what software have you got than can handle dual CPUs) ?

MC
January 29, 2002 7:20:26 AM

there are no dual P4 motherboards since the current P4 (and probably even the latest Northwood) doesnt support multiprocessing. But you certainly have a good board for dual Athlon configuration, the Asus A7M266-D or the ones made by MSI and Tyan, based on the 760MPX chipset.

They need AthlonMPs but they are a lot costlier than the AthlonXPs which so SMP well, but arent officialy validated for it.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
Related resources
January 29, 2002 8:38:10 AM

athlon xps dont do dual...
athlon mps do.
there was supposedly a few athlonxps that got out into circulation which could do dual...but they quickly stopped that...dunno why tho.

but yeah, a few things to take into consideration before you go dual.
if you dont need it, why pay extra?
make sure the os you are going to be using supports it.
and that the software you are using will take advantage of it.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
January 29, 2002 1:57:19 PM

If you plan on doing any of the following, I would recommend you get a dual Processor sytem:

Video editting, This is one of the disiplines that can take the most advantage of a 2 processor system.

Web Server or other main system server. If you plan on having 4-or more computers hooked up in your home or office, and running high speed internet, with media content, or plan on having a web server that will be acessed by more than 50 people at a time, The preformance will be needed.

Highend Workstation. If you work with CAD, 3D Studio Max, or other high processor intense amplication that includes rendering.

These are pretty much the main uses that "normal" people would need to have a dualie. With one exception, and that is to boast to your friends that your computer is faster than theirs.

If you do plan on building, one, go check out <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q2/010605/inde..." target="_new">Tom's Artical</A> on the subject.

Here is another note, Any motherboard with this configuration will cost you big (over $2000 at the least) For the Intel version, the memory and Motherboard and processor by themselves will cost you about $1500; an AMD system, just a little bit less.

If it works for you then don't fix it.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 29, 2002 4:14:38 PM

I work as a 3d modeler for a local video-game company. I use 3ds Max, which makes excellent use of a dual processor system. I presently have a dual P!!! 1GHz system, but I am looking to upgrade to a P4 or Athlon - I just haven't found any such motherboards yet.
January 29, 2002 6:49:27 PM

what mobo you running? do you know if it would be able to handle the pIIIS 1.4 w/512k? that's a pretty sexy chip. i wouldn't upgrade to a single cpu from that box you got now. unless you'll still be keeping it. xp's aren't "SMP CERTIFIED" but that doesn't mean they will not work. i was skeptic at first, but i haven't heard of one person yet that has tried it with XP's and it didn't work. so odds do seem that they would work, but it's not guarnteed as with the MP's. i will be trying it with 2 xp1700's and tyan's tigerMPX. as girish pointed out, p4 won't work in a dual setup, also no mobos for them anyways. the only way for dual intel setup is either with the new xeon's, which i'm sure are a pretty penny (not to mention the mobos for those things) or if your current mobo support em, the newer pIII. so depending on what you want to go with and what the budget is a dual athlon setup a good choice, whether you go with xp's or mp's you'll still save a lot compared to a dual xeon setup and out preforms the xeons as well.

happiness is finding a stick of ram in your mail.
January 30, 2002 2:51:26 AM

natecooper,

Here's an interesting article to go with Tom's old AMD dually article:
<A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?revie..." target="_new">http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/hardware_review.asp?revie...;/A>

(Also a good P4 chipset article at this site.)

from Anandtech:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1570" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1570&l...;/A>

So far, only the Tyan and ASUS MPX boards are available. I'm waiting for the Gigabyte MPX board since it seems to have more generally useful slot layout and features than the ASUS and Tyan (3 PCI slots will be used up VERY quickly). Iwill, MSI and EpoX are also in the wings w/ MPX boards.

BW

PS: Lots more out there: search at google for "760mpx review" and similar.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bw37 on 01/29/02 11:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!