What gateway?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi all,

Just setup 3 Dlink 2100 APs in AP mode using same SSID and different
channels, using Dlink G650 clients.

Roaming seems to work, although its a bit slow at switching over to
the next AP and it drops the IP address while switching, it will pick
up a new IP, but not before dropping loads of packets.

So here's my problem, how do i stop it dropping the IP, or speed up
the switching process.
DHCP is fed from a mail server, and the AP's are all static.

Also, what gateway do i use?

We have a router that faces the outside world using a private address,
all the AP's and the router and mail servers share a private range of
192.168.*.*.
So do i give the AP's the gateway of the router, or leave em blank, or
give em there own gateway using their IP.

Cheers
Phil

"Phil" <p.durkin@work-inc.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Just setup 3 Dlink 2100 APs in AP mode using same SSID and different
> channels, using Dlink G650 clients.
>
> Roaming seems to work, although its a bit slow at switching over to
> the next AP and it drops the IP address while switching, it will pick
> up a new IP, but not before dropping loads of packets.
>
> So here's my problem, how do i stop it dropping the IP, or speed up
> the switching process.
> DHCP is fed from a mail server, and the AP's are all static.
>
> Also, what gateway do i use?
>
> We have a router that faces the outside world using a private address,
> all the AP's and the router and mail servers share a private range of
> 192.168.*.*.
> So do i give the AP's the gateway of the router, or leave em blank, or
> give em there own gateway using their IP.
>
> Cheers
> Phil

Phil,

On the LAN whose address begins with 192.168, is the subnet mask on all
devices 255.255.255.0? Do all those devices have the same 3rd octet (3rd
number in the IP address)? Is the DHCP server (mail server) on this LAN
with no intervening routers? Does the whole pool of addresses served by the
DHCP server have the same 1st three octets as the rest of the LAN
(especially APs)? Is the DHCP server assigning the same subnet mask
(255.255.255.0)?

You appear to have setup the APs correctly for roaming, but I wouldn't call
what you're observing roaming. With proper roaming you not only shouldn't
need a new IP address, you shouldn't even lose TCP connections.

Any device obtaining its IP address from DHCP should also be obtaining a
Default Gateway address that way. The DG address should be the address of
the router's interface on that LAN (not its upstream [WAN] address).
"Gateway," as it's used here, is an old term for a router. The DG address
must always be on the same network (LAN) as the device being configured.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

"Ron Bandes" <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote in message news:<TFVGc.71688$kz.13910714@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> "Phil" <p.durkin@work-inc.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Just setup 3 Dlink 2100 APs in AP mode using same SSID and different
> > channels, using Dlink G650 clients.
> >
> > Roaming seems to work, although its a bit slow at switching over to
> > the next AP and it drops the IP address while switching, it will pick
> > up a new IP, but not before dropping loads of packets.
> >
> > So here's my problem, how do i stop it dropping the IP, or speed up
> > the switching process.
> > DHCP is fed from a mail server, and the AP's are all static.
> >
> > Also, what gateway do i use?
> >
> > We have a router that faces the outside world using a private address,
> > all the AP's and the router and mail servers share a private range of
> > 192.168.*.*.
> > So do i give the AP's the gateway of the router, or leave em blank, or
> > give em there own gateway using their IP.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Phil
>
> Phil,
>
> On the LAN whose address begins with 192.168, is the subnet mask on all
> devices 255.255.255.0? Do all those devices have the same 3rd octet (3rd
> number in the IP address)? Is the DHCP server (mail server) on this LAN
> with no intervening routers? Does the whole pool of addresses served by the
> DHCP server have the same 1st three octets as the rest of the LAN
> (especially APs)? Is the DHCP server assigning the same subnet mask
> (255.255.255.0)?
>
> You appear to have setup the APs correctly for roaming, but I wouldn't call
> what you're observing roaming. With proper roaming you not only shouldn't
> need a new IP address, you shouldn't even lose TCP connections.
>
> Any device obtaining its IP address from DHCP should also be obtaining a
> Default Gateway address that way. The DG address should be the address of
> the router's interface on that LAN (not its upstream [WAN] address).
> "Gateway," as it's used here, is an old term for a router. The DG address
> must always be on the same network (LAN) as the device being configured.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the response.

The DHCP server (also proxy)here is a strange thing, i inherited a
very basic DHCP system that doesnt allow the sending of a default
gateway or defining address pools, so its 192.168.0.* or nothing, so
they all share the same 3 octets(gonna set DHCP up on Novell soon),and
for some strange reason the subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0!!

There are no intervening routers, only a switch which then feeds other
switches where the AP's and clients hang from (the client switches are
all coming out soon).

Our router has a 192.168.0.254 IP on this side and a 212*.*.* IP
facing the outside world via 2 more routers connecting to twin ISDN
boxes,, nightmare!

So do i set the DG on the AP's to ****254?

> [...]
address
> > must always be on the same network (LAN) as the device being configured.
> >
> > Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
>
> Hi Ron,
> Thanks for the response.
>
> The DHCP server (also proxy)here is a strange thing, i inherited a
> very basic DHCP system that doesnt allow the sending of a default
> gateway or defining address pools, so its 192.168.0.* or nothing, so
> they all share the same 3 octets(gonna set DHCP up on Novell soon),and
> for some strange reason the subnet mask is set to 255.255.0.0!!
>

> There are no intervening routers, only a switch which then feeds other
> switches where the AP's and clients hang from (the client switches are
> all coming out soon).
>
> Our router has a 192.168.0.254 IP on this side and a 212*.*.* IP
> facing the outside world via 2 more routers connecting to twin ISDN

Hi Phil,

The 255.255.0.0 subnet mask, while a little odd, is OK as long as all
devices on that LAN use the same subnet mask. It does mean though, that you
can't have any other networks beginning with 192.168 in your private
internetwork. The good news is that on this LAN, you have complete freedom
of choice in the last two octets; only the first two octets must be the same
for all hosts on this LAN.

You are correct about the DG address. The computers on this LAN should all
have a DG address of 192.168.0.254.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.