CALLING ALL GURUS!! MY NEW SYS KEEPS RESTARTING!!!

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
HI ,
LEMME TELL U THE HISTORY THAT WOULD HELP DIAGNOSE THE PROB.... I GOT ECS K7AMA MOBO,AMD XP1600, 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM, GEFORCE2MX 64MB CARD, NOW I BUILT IT MYSELF AND IT START WELL DETECTS ALL THE COMPONENTS AND AFTER THE NOTICE OF "STARTING WINDOWS 2000" IT RESETS! AND THIS GOES ON FOREVER TILL I SHUT DOWN. SO PLZ TELL ME WHAT TO DO? ACCORDING TO ME THE PROBLEM LIES IN THE "FRONT PANEL CONNECTORS" I THINK I HAVENT CONNECTED THOSE PROPERLY SO WHERE CAN I LEARN T DO THAT I TRIED THE BOOKLET WHICH COMES WITH IT BUT COULDNT UNDERSTAND PROPERLY SO ANYWAYS PLZ HELP!!!
THANX
BEN

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i would double check everything. like connections, and so forth.
and then i would check in the bios, and see if the voltage being put out by the power supply is near specs.
like 3.3v is close to 3.3v.
and so on.
if it isnt, or the voltages fluctuate a lot, then you need a new powersupply.
the reason why it would make it to the loading screen, and then reset is maybe because the computer is starting to draw a lot of current, because it is loading and processing, and if the psu cant cut it, then it will restart.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
HI....
I HAVE A P3-500MHZ PROCESSOR AND WIN2K OS... FEW DAYS BACK I BOUGHT MYSELF A ECS-K7AMA MOBO WITH ATHALON XP1600... NOW WHEN I SETUP MY NEW HARDWARE THE DAMN SYSTEM KEPT ON RESTARTING IT WOULD NOT LOAD WINDOWS...FIRST I THOUGHT THAT I MIGHT HAVE NOT DONE THE JUMPER SETTING AND ALL CORRECTLY BUT AFTER ALOT OF RESEARCH AND READING EVERYTHING WAS DONE BY-THE-BOOK SO WHAT I FOUND WAS WHEN I RE-INSTALLED MY OLD P3 AGAIN IT WORKED ABSOULUTELY FINE... SO THE PROBLEM WAS NOTHING OTHER THAN WIN2K INCOMPATIBILITY... AND RT NOW I AM STUCK WITH MY OLD P3 PROC... SO ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OR HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS PLZ PLZ PLZ LETME KNOW ASAP. THANX
BEN

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
This particular board is very sensitive to power fluctuations. I highly recommend that you make sure that you have all of the following:

350 Watt <b><font color=red>Name Brand</font color=red></b> Powersupply. Sparkles and Antec both make good, AMD Approved Powersupplys that you can find almost anywhere.

Battery Backup System. If you are just plugin the computer into a surge suppressor, or even worse, the wall outlet, this can cause major issues with your computer. Buy a good quality UPS (From companys like APC)

If your house has dirty power,get a line conditioner. You can tell this if you experence problems with lightbulbs going out before their time, Periods where electric appliances turn off and on when other major electronics are being used; and also by getting a technician to come by and checking your electricity.

If you find that the first two suggestions do not work, try calling back on us, or checking your power. This board seams to be very picky about the quality of power that it gets and although it is a great deal @ under $65, you will still need to pay more for other high quality improvements to make it work.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

ANGEL14

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
HI....
I HAVE A P3-500MHZ PROCESSOR AND WIN2K OS... FEW DAYS BACK I BOUGHT MYSELF A ECS-K7AMA MOBO WITH ATHALON XP1600... NOW WHEN I SETUP MY NEW HARDWARE THE DAMN SYSTEM KEPT ON RESTARTING IT WOULD NOT LOAD WINDOWS...FIRST I THOUGHT THAT I MIGHT HAVE NOT DONE THE JUMPER SETTING AND ALL CORRECTLY BUT AFTER ALOT OF RESEARCH AND READING EVERYTHING WAS DONE BY-THE-BOOK SO WHAT I FOUND WAS WHEN I RE-INSTALLED MY OLD P3 AGAIN IT WORKED ABSOULUTELY FINE... SO I THINK THE PROBLEM WAS NOTHING OTHER THAN WIN2K INCOMPATIBILITY... AND RT NOW I AM STUCK WITH MY OLD P3 PROC... SO ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OR HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS PLZ PLZ PLZ LETME KNOW ASAP. THANX
BEN

G

First of all please stop tying in caps...very annoying.

It sounds like you did a complete switch of hardware from your old system to your new system using the same harddrive and os but you didn't do a clean install of your os? Is that right? If so that might be the problem because of the huge hardware change is causing windows to flip out.

You also might want to check your bios to make sure your cpu temps are good and make sure the heatsink is on right and isn't overheating.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I was going to help you until I saw you were posting in all caps.

Hmm...maybe I should email you about it. Let me guess...angel14@aol.com? :wink:

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
what kind of powersupply are you using? also, it was a known problem with the k7s5a, so look at this:
go into bios and make sure ( i think under boot options) that "QUICK BOOT" is enabled. supposed to be something with the power management features. i was told this when i had a k7s5a mobo by ecs, but i already got rid of the board, so wasn't able to try it.

happiness is finding a stick of ram in your mail.