Project: A7V266E, XP1900

G

I'm finally ready to start my new system. There was an awful mixup when I ordered my parts and had to RMA the motherboard. I've been tracking its progress through UPS and it looks like I will have it in a few short hours.
I've been using computers for just over a year now and feel confident enough to build this system. I put it together the first time, but the keyboard would not work. I didnt mess with it too long because I realized I was given the A7V266, instead of the A7V266-E I asked for.
Here is what I have:
A7V266E
XP1900
thermaltake dragon orb3 7k rpm
300W power (hopefully it will be enough)
256mb pc2100DDR
geforce3 ti200
sb audigy
western digital 40gb 7200rpm
AOPEN 56x cd-rom
AOPEN 24-10-40 cd rw

What I would like to know is what do I need to do once I start it for the first time, as far as partitioning/formatting a new hard drive, bios update, drivers, etc.
I know about the video, sound, and network drivers. Is there something else I'll need to do?

any help is appreciated

You don't say what operating system you'll be using, but some folks will install it using only one card at a time, starting with video. Install directx, then the video driver. Then install the version of via's 4 in 1 drivers that comes with your mobo. Then proceed with your soundcard, lan (if needed), or modem, shuting down the system each time you add a new card. Setup your hardrive as primary master, with the cd-rw as secondary master and dvd as secondary slave. If everything works, I wouldn't update the bios.

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just built a system with A7V266-E and XP1900+ cpu myself. Worked without any problem from the first minute.

You may need a couple of ear plugs for that 7000RPM fan though.

<i><font color=purple>The signature of the year!</font color=purple></i>

G

Thanks for the help. I will be using WIN98SE for now.
Will the os take care of the harddrive for me or is there something else?

G

ps. I already had the fan running the first time, and your right about the ear plugs :) It sounds like a turbo!

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have the hard disk connected to the promise controller it should work in Win98 but you will have to install the promise driver to get the best (= speed) of it.

In case you'll be installing Win2000 on it with the hard drive connected to the promise controller, you'll have to have the promise driver available on a diskette BEFORE you start installing Win2000. During the text portion of the installation, you will be asked if you want to install additional drivers by pressing F6. Press F6 and when the system asks for it, insert the disk with the drivers. Alternatively, you may connect the hard disk to the IDE port of the VIA chip set, install Win2000, install the promise driver and when all this is done, reconnect the hard disk to the promise controller.

When installing WinXP ("windows for teletubbies"), there shouldn't be a problem at all.

<i><font color=purple>The signature of the year!</font color=purple></i>