Thanks to Tom and Ted plus a question

Thank you all for your advice. After farting around for too long, someone
here (PZ) posted some info on Dell Coupons.

After spending a couple of hours on Dell's site including their outlet, the
coupon took me to the Dell Store and I got a better deal!

Here's what I ended up getting:

Inspiron 2200; Celeron M 370 (1.5 Ghz/1MB Cache/ 400 Mhz FS8-- not sure what
that last item means); XP Home.

I got the 15 in Display.
40 GB drive.

Ted, I did choose the 512 MB memory.

1370 wireless card.

24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive.

I got the 1 yr. warranty.

Assorted worthless software comes with it.

The bottom line price was $651.42 + $19 (handling) = $670.42

From looking around for quite awhile, I do think this was a decent deal
(probably not great, but decent).

NOW FOR MY NEXT SIMPLE QUESTION:

My purpose is to have a wireless computer upstairs. My 2400 desktop is in
the basement.

Soooo.... what router do you recommend?? I have broadband (cable). I seem to
recall you saying that Linksys might be the best?? I figure I'll check on
Ebay once I know what to get. I assume it is not a "network" router but a
"broadband" router??

As you can tell, this is new for me.

So, what router specifically should I look for... at what cost?

Mel

What Dell store? Dell doesn't have a store. Can you provide the link?

tom
"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Thank you all for your advice. After farting around for too long, someone
> here (PZ) posted some info on Dell Coupons.
>
> After spending a couple of hours on Dell's site including their outlet,
> the coupon took me to the Dell Store and I got a better deal!
>
> Here's what I ended up getting:
>
> Inspiron 2200; Celeron M 370 (1.5 Ghz/1MB Cache/ 400 Mhz FS8-- not sure
> what that last item means); XP Home.
>
> I got the 15 in Display.
> 40 GB drive.
>
> Ted, I did choose the 512 MB memory.
>
> 1370 wireless card.
>
> 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive.
>
> I got the 1 yr. warranty.
>
> Assorted worthless software comes with it.
>
> The bottom line price was $651.42 + $19 (handling) = $670.42
>
> From looking around for quite awhile, I do think this was a decent deal
> (probably not great, but decent).
>
> NOW FOR MY NEXT SIMPLE QUESTION:
>
> My purpose is to have a wireless computer upstairs. My 2400 desktop is in
> the basement.
>
> Soooo.... what router do you recommend?? I have broadband (cable). I seem
> to recall you saying that Linksys might be the best?? I figure I'll check
> on Ebay once I know what to get. I assume it is not a "network" router but
> a "broadband" router??
>
> As you can tell, this is new for me.
>
> So, what router specifically should I look for... at what cost?
>
> Mel

http://dellpromos.com/

Then click on the red coupon link.

I added it to my cart and then called Dell and ordered via telephone

Mel

> What Dell store? Dell doesn't have a store. Can you provide the link?
>
> tom
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you all for your advice. After farting around for too long, someone
>> here (PZ) posted some info on Dell Coupons.
>>
>> After spending a couple of hours on Dell's site including their outlet,
>> the coupon took me to the Dell Store and I got a better deal!
>>
>> Here's what I ended up getting:
>>
>> Inspiron 2200; Celeron M 370 (1.5 Ghz/1MB Cache/ 400 Mhz FS8-- not sure
>> what that last item means); XP Home.
>>
>> I got the 15 in Display.
>> 40 GB drive.
>>
>> Ted, I did choose the 512 MB memory.
>>
>> 1370 wireless card.
>>
>> 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive.
>>
>> I got the 1 yr. warranty.
>>
>> Assorted worthless software comes with it.
>>
>> The bottom line price was $651.42 + $19 (handling) = $670.42
>>
>> From looking around for quite awhile, I do think this was a decent deal
>> (probably not great, but decent).
>>
>> NOW FOR MY NEXT SIMPLE QUESTION:
>>
>> My purpose is to have a wireless computer upstairs. My 2400 desktop is in
>> the basement.
>>
>> Soooo.... what router do you recommend?? I have broadband (cable). I seem
>> to recall you saying that Linksys might be the best?? I figure I'll check
>> on Ebay once I know what to get. I assume it is not a "network" router
>> but a "broadband" router??
>>
>> As you can tell, this is new for me.
>>
>> So, what router specifically should I look for... at what cost?
>>
>> Mel

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message

Mel,

I recommend the Linksys WRT54G. Don't bother with ebay -- just look in the
Sunday paper. One of the big box stores will have it under $50.

TOm

Do you have concrete floors? Wireless signal travels poorly through
concrete.

> My purpose is to have a wireless computer upstairs. My 2400 desktop is in
> the basement.

Brian:

The basement floor is concrete. But not upstairs

Mel
"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you have concrete floors? Wireless signal travels poorly through
> concrete.
>

>> My purpose is to have a wireless computer upstairs. My 2400 desktop is in
>> the basement.

I have the Linksys WRT54GS which performs well but I don't think it's any
better than the Linksys WRT54G. Should be fine in your situation.

> The basement floor is concrete. But not upstairs
>
> Mel

dannysdailys

Since your wireless is going to be making the trip from the basement
to the upstairs level, (two floors) I don't recommend a wireless
router at all.

Instead, I'd use a wired router with one of it's ports running to a
wireless access point on the next floor. This will put your access
point on the main floor. It should be easy to run a cat cable from
the basement to the main floor of the house which then can be
positioned centrally, vs. being stuck in the basement.

Additionally, if you find the coverage to be less then steller, you
can use a second access point configured as an extender. This will
need no cat cable as it relays the signal from the first.

I'd hate to see you waste your money on a wireless router, when in the
majority of cases, concerning a home, it won't give you the coverage
you expect.

Also, kitchen appliances will block it, even the microwave oven; use
care in location. Wireless isn't what it's cracked up to be. I like
the Belkin access points and use a pair in this manner.

My problem wasn't even a floor issue, it was front to back coverage
that was lacking. By putting an access point in the kitchen, then
the relay in the living room, I have full coverage of my yard. If I
couldn't get satafactory results on even one floor, I know it
wouldn't have worked in the manner you speak.

It's obviously variable. My laptop still accesses the internet 15 metres in
front of my house after the signal has already passed through four plaster
walls. Total distance 35 metres. The microwave oven makes no difference to
my signal. However I agree that if you can avoid wireless with a cable, do
so. File transfers are up to 8 times faster with a cable. I can't easily
cable my house so I use wireless.

"dannysdailys" <dannysdailys@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Since your wireless is going to be making the trip from the basement
> to the upstairs level, (two floors) I don't recommend a wireless
> router at all.
>
> Instead, I'd use a wired router with one of it's ports running to a
> wireless access point on the next floor. This will put your access
> point on the main floor. It should be easy to run a cat cable from
> the basement to the main floor of the house which then can be
> positioned centrally, vs. being stuck in the basement.
>
> Additionally, if you find the coverage to be less then steller, you
> can use a second access point configured as an extender. This will
> need no cat cable as it relays the signal from the first.
>
> I'd hate to see you waste your money on a wireless router, when in the
> majority of cases, concerning a home, it won't give you the coverage
> you expect.
>
> Also, kitchen appliances will block it, even the microwave oven; use
> care in location. Wireless isn't what it's cracked up to be. I like
> the Belkin access points and use a pair in this manner.
>
> My problem wasn't even a floor issue, it was front to back coverage
> that was lacking. By putting an access point in the kitchen, then
> the relay in the living room, I have full coverage of my yard. If I
> couldn't get satafactory results on even one floor, I know it
> wouldn't have worked in the manner you speak.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Thank you all for your advice. After farting around for too long, someone
> here (PZ) posted some info on Dell Coupons.
>
> After spending a couple of hours on Dell's site including their outlet,
the
> coupon took me to the Dell Store and I got a better deal!
>
> Here's what I ended up getting:
>
> Inspiron 2200; Celeron M 370 (1.5 Ghz/1MB Cache/ 400 Mhz FS8-- not sure
what
> that last item means); XP Home.
>
> I got the 15 in Display.
> 40 GB drive.
>
> Ted, I did choose the 512 MB memory.
>
> 1370 wireless card.
>
> 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive.
>
> I got the 1 yr. warranty.
>
> Assorted worthless software comes with it.
>
> The bottom line price was $651.42 + $19 (handling) = $670.42
>
> From looking around for quite awhile, I do think this was a decent deal
> (probably not great, but decent).
>
> NOW FOR MY NEXT SIMPLE QUESTION:
>
> My purpose is to have a wireless computer upstairs. My 2400 desktop is in
> the basement.
>
> Soooo.... what router do you recommend?? I have broadband (cable). I seem
> recall you saying that Linksys might be the best?? I figure I'll check on
> Ebay once I know what to get. I assume it is not a "network" router but a
> "broadband" router??
>
> As you can tell, this is new for me.
>
> So, what router specifically should I look for... at what cost?
>
> Mel

Do check if your cable provider has cable boxes with built in warless
hubs. If so you might see if you can swap out your existing broadband modem
for a newer one at no additional cost. Of late I've seen a couple of these
at peoples homes. Surprisingly not all of them have encryption set. If you
want any sort of privacy/security, I recommend you make sure this feature is
turned on.

KC

"dannysdailys" <dannysdailys@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Since your wireless is going to be making the trip from the basement
> to the upstairs level, (two floors) I don't recommend a wireless
> router at all.
>
> Instead, I'd use a wired router with one of it's ports running to a
> wireless access point on the next floor. This will put your access
> point on the main floor. It should be easy to run a cat cable from
> the basement to the main floor of the house which then can be
> positioned centrally, vs. being stuck in the basement.
>
> Additionally, if you find the coverage to be less then steller, you
> can use a second access point configured as an extender. This will
> need no cat cable as it relays the signal from the first.
>
> I'd hate to see you waste your money on a wireless router, when in the
> majority of cases, concerning a home, it won't give you the coverage
> you expect.
>
> Also, kitchen appliances will block it, even the microwave oven; use
> care in location. Wireless isn't what it's cracked up to be. I like
> the Belkin access points and use a pair in this manner.
>
> My problem wasn't even a floor issue, it was front to back coverage
> that was lacking. By putting an access point in the kitchen, then
> the relay in the living room, I have full coverage of my yard. If I
> couldn't get satafactory results on even one floor, I know it
> wouldn't have worked in the manner you speak.

Strange, I have just such a situation and it make the trip from the basement
up two floors to the opposite end of the house with a good signal. When I
first set it up and hadn't enabled the encryption the kid next door (home
from college w/laptop) got on through it. Said she was talking on the phone
and forgot her parents were on dial-up. So it really seems to be that
physical location is a case by case situation. The router to PC path in my
case does not have any major electromagnetic/electromechanically device in
direct line between the two. So YMMV.

KC

OK, that clicks through to Dell's website. Had me worried there for a
second that someone was spoofing Dell.

> http://dellpromos.com/
>
> Then click on the red coupon link.
>
> I added it to my cart and then called Dell and ordered via telephone
>
> Mel

>> What Dell store? Dell doesn't have a store. Can you provide the link?
>>
>> tom

The other side of the coin is that the OP will need a router anyway to share
internet access. The added cost for a wireless router compared to just a plain
old 4-port router is nickel-dime (at least in the US). If the wireless router
does not offer adequate coverage, a wireless bridge added afterwards would do
the job.

And, yes, I would go with the Linksys WRT54G or newer Linksys. I have used
Linksys boxes for several years and installed quite a few for clients without
any glitches, ever... Ben Myers

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:32:36 GMT, dannysdailys@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(dannysdailys) wrote:

>Since your wireless is going to be making the trip from the basement
>to the upstairs level, (two floors) I don't recommend a wireless
>router at all.
>
>Instead, I'd use a wired router with one of it's ports running to a
>wireless access point on the next floor. This will put your access
>point on the main floor. It should be easy to run a cat cable from
>the basement to the main floor of the house which then can be
>positioned centrally, vs. being stuck in the basement.
>
>Additionally, if you find the coverage to be less then steller, you
>can use a second access point configured as an extender. This will
>need no cat cable as it relays the signal from the first.
>
>I'd hate to see you waste your money on a wireless router, when in the
>majority of cases, concerning a home, it won't give you the coverage
>you expect.
>
>Also, kitchen appliances will block it, even the microwave oven; use
>care in location. Wireless isn't what it's cracked up to be. I like
>the Belkin access points and use a pair in this manner.
>
>My problem wasn't even a floor issue, it was front to back coverage
>that was lacking. By putting an access point in the kitchen, then
>the relay in the living room, I have full coverage of my yard. If I
>couldn't get satafactory results on even one floor, I know it
>wouldn't have worked in the manner you speak.

Kevin:

Thanks for your input. I had not considered checking with my cable company.
That's a great idea!!

To the other responder: I have a ranch house, so I am going up one floor.
The room I intend to use is on the other side of the house (about 100-120
feet total), so it will be interesting to see.

Also, I gather it is easy to enable encryption and fix it so that only my
new laptop can get the signal??

Mel

"Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you all for your advice. After farting around for too long, someone
>> here (PZ) posted some info on Dell Coupons.
>>
>> After spending a couple of hours on Dell's site including their outlet,
> the
>> coupon took me to the Dell Store and I got a better deal!
>>
>> Here's what I ended up getting:
>>
>> Inspiron 2200; Celeron M 370 (1.5 Ghz/1MB Cache/ 400 Mhz FS8-- not sure
> what
>> that last item means); XP Home.
>>
>> I got the 15 in Display.
>> 40 GB drive.
>>
>> Ted, I did choose the 512 MB memory.
>>
>> 1370 wireless card.
>>
>> 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive.
>>
>> I got the 1 yr. warranty.
>>
>> Assorted worthless software comes with it.
>>
>> The bottom line price was $651.42 + $19 (handling) = $670.42
>>
>> From looking around for quite awhile, I do think this was a decent deal
>> (probably not great, but decent).
>>
>> NOW FOR MY NEXT SIMPLE QUESTION:
>>
>> My purpose is to have a wireless computer upstairs. My 2400 desktop is in
>> the basement.
>>
>> Soooo.... what router do you recommend?? I have broadband (cable). I seem
>> recall you saying that Linksys might be the best?? I figure I'll check on
>> Ebay once I know what to get. I assume it is not a "network" router but a
>> "broadband" router??
>>
>> As you can tell, this is new for me.
>>
>> So, what router specifically should I look for... at what cost?
>>
>> Mel
>
> Do check if your cable provider has cable boxes with built in warless
> hubs. If so you might see if you can swap out your existing broadband
> modem
> for a newer one at no additional cost. Of late I've seen a couple of
> these
> at peoples homes. Surprisingly not all of them have encryption set. If
> you
> want any sort of privacy/security, I recommend you make sure this feature
> is
> turned on.
>
> KC

Yes, whether or not wireless access works reliably depends on how cleanly the
radio waves travel from one device to another. I've had simple as can be
wireless installs, and problematic ones solved with amplifying antennae or
bridges. And there is no telling what is needed until you try it. Indoors is
sometimes more problematic than outdoors because even plasterboard-and-wood
construction distorts or reflects signals. And then there are all those other
devices operating on the same 2.4GHz frequency, like cell phones, wireless
phones, microwaves, etc... Ben Myers

On , "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote:

>Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:14:26 -0500
>
>"dannysdailys" <dannysdailys@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Since your wireless is going to be making the trip from the basement
>> to the upstairs level, (two floors) I don't recommend a wireless
>> router at all.
>>
>> Instead, I'd use a wired router with one of it's ports running to a
>> wireless access point on the next floor. This will put your access
>> point on the main floor. It should be easy to run a cat cable from
>> the basement to the main floor of the house which then can be
>> positioned centrally, vs. being stuck in the basement.
>>
>> Additionally, if you find the coverage to be less then steller, you
>> can use a second access point configured as an extender. This will
>> need no cat cable as it relays the signal from the first.
>>
>> I'd hate to see you waste your money on a wireless router, when in the
>> majority of cases, concerning a home, it won't give you the coverage
>> you expect.
>>
>> Also, kitchen appliances will block it, even the microwave oven; use
>> care in location. Wireless isn't what it's cracked up to be. I like
>> the Belkin access points and use a pair in this manner.
>>
>> My problem wasn't even a floor issue, it was front to back coverage
>> that was lacking. By putting an access point in the kitchen, then
>> the relay in the living room, I have full coverage of my yard. If I
>> couldn't get satafactory results on even one floor, I know it
>> wouldn't have worked in the manner you speak.
>
>Strange, I have just such a situation and it make the trip from the basement
>up two floors to the opposite end of the house with a good signal. When I
>first set it up and hadn't enabled the encryption the kid next door (home
>from college w/laptop) got on through it. Said she was talking on the phone
>and forgot her parents were on dial-up. So it really seems to be that
>physical location is a case by case situation. The router to PC path in my
>case does not have any major electromagnetic/electromechanically device in
>direct line between the two. So YMMV.
>
>KC

On the THIRD side of the coin, some broadband ISPs provide cable or DSL modems
with built-in router & DHCP capabilities. If the broadband modem used by the OP
is one of these, then an access point is the answer. I would place the access
point on the same floor (basement, in this case) as the broadband modem,
tethered to the modem by a Category 5 cable up to 25 feet long, so that the
access point could be moved around to optimize wireless coverage upstairs.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, MB_ wrote:

> http://dellpromos.com/
>
> Then click on the red coupon link.

Is that available at Dell Canada as well??

Marilyn B.

> To the other responder: I have a ranch house, so I am going up one
> floor. The room I intend to use is on the other side of the house
> (about 100-120 feet total), so it will be interesting to see.

As others have said, find a way to get the wireless access point on the
same floor as where your laptop will be. Since you want the wireless
signal to go from one end of the house to the other, you might want
investigate getting a directional antenna for the access point. That would
enable you to send all of the signal in one direction instead of equally in
all directions.

It is my understanding that you must buy the directional antenna from the
same company that makes the access point. Is this really true?

Directional antennae must have a connector that matches the access point,
wireless router or PCMCIA card being used. I have bought and successfully used
3rd party directional antennae for Proxim/Orinoco cards, Linksys cards, and
Linksys routers... Ben Myers

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:43:36 GMT, "M. Hale" <mjhale@gmail.com> wrote:

>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in
>
>> To the other responder: I have a ranch house, so I am going up one
>> floor. The room I intend to use is on the other side of the house
>> (about 100-120 feet total), so it will be interesting to see.
>
>As others have said, find a way to get the wireless access point on the
>same floor as where your laptop will be. Since you want the wireless
>signal to go from one end of the house to the other, you might want
>investigate getting a directional antenna for the access point. That would
>enable you to send all of the signal in one direction instead of equally in
>all directions.
>
>It is my understanding that you must buy the directional antenna from the
>same company that makes the access point. Is this really true?

Folks:

I gather from this thread that I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
I'll be getting the notebook and router and just see how the signal is. It
may be good enough, I hope.

Is that correct??

Mel
> Directional antennae must have a connector that matches the access point,
> wireless router or PCMCIA card being used. I have bought and successfully
> used
> 3rd party directional antennae for Proxim/Orinoco cards, Linksys cards,
> and
> Linksys routers... Ben Myers
>
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 13:43:36 GMT, "M. Hale" <mjhale@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in
>>
>>> To the other responder: I have a ranch house, so I am going up one
>>> floor. The room I intend to use is on the other side of the house
>>> (about 100-120 feet total), so it will be interesting to see.
>>
>>As others have said, find a way to get the wireless access point on the
>>same floor as where your laptop will be. Since you want the wireless
>>signal to go from one end of the house to the other, you might want
>>investigate getting a directional antenna for the access point. That
>>would
>>enable you to send all of the signal in one direction instead of equally
>>in
>>all directions.
>>
>>It is my understanding that you must buy the directional antenna from the
>>same company that makes the access point. Is this really true?

Yes. Try the wireless router first and see what happens. Make adjustments if
necessary... Ben Myers