Unable to uninstall Original Messenger that came with XP

I have been upgrading MSN Messenger since purchasing
Windows XP however have been unable to remove the initial
Messenger program. I have upgraded to Messenger 7.0 Beta
and each previous version could be uninstalled but the
Original version. I have hidden the original one in the
taskbar but it continues to connect and disconnects
version 7.0. A notice pops up informing me that I am
logged on to another version of Messenger. Any
suggestion on how I can remove the original software
without removing version 7?

Bob
3 answers Last reply
More about unable uninstall original messenger

    Greetings Bob,

    You can completely remove Windows Messenger (4.7) but if you do, you will be preventing
    Remote Assistance, Whiteboard, and Application Sharing from working.

    However, if you don't use this functionality that would be disabled by removing Messenger,
    you can simply remove it by closing down Messenger if it's running (right click the messenger
    icon in the notification area/system tray and click close). Then click the start button,
    then click Run and type in (copy-paste if you like):
    RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

    Then click OK.
    Messenger will then be uninstalled. For more detailed instructions and screenshots, go to,
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Bob V" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been upgrading MSN Messenger since purchasing
    > Windows XP however have been unable to remove the initial
    > Messenger program. I have upgraded to Messenger 7.0 Beta
    > and each previous version could be uninstalled but the
    > Original version. I have hidden the original one in the
    > taskbar but it continues to connect and disconnects
    > version 7.0. A notice pops up informing me that I am
    > logged on to another version of Messenger. Any
    > suggestion on how I can remove the original software
    > without removing version 7?
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks Jonathan, I may need these share features so will
    live with the original version 4.7 and learn to exit when
    it pops up unexpectedly.. Bob

    Jonathan Kay.

    >"Bob V" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >>I have been upgrading MSN Messenger since purchasing
    >> Windows XP however have been unable to remove the
    initial
    >> Messenger program. I have upgraded to Messenger 7.0
    Beta
    >> and each previous version could be uninstalled but the
    >> Original version. I have hidden the original one in the
    >> taskbar but it continues to connect and disconnects
    >> version 7.0. A notice pops up informing me that I am
    >> logged on to another version of Messenger. Any
    >> suggestion on how I can remove the original software
    >> without removing version 7?
    >>
    >> Bob
    >

    >.

    Hi Bob,

    In that case, you can just disable Windows Messenger from starting. To do so, open it up
    (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK), click Tools, Options, Preferences tab
    and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows
    starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this program to run in the background' or
    'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' (depending on version). This won't remove
    Windows Messenger, so features like Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing
    will continue to work, but it will let it stay out of your way.

    Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
    new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
    also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
    icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
    click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

Messenger Windows XP