Dragon+ sound skips with Winamp

G

So I built my new rig - Athlon XP 2000+, 512, Visiontek GeForce3 Ti500, etc while using the onboard audio. I've noticed that as I have winamp playing and I start opening windows and scrolling around, winamp starts skipping. So I went to Winamp's page, looked at the FAQs, and found this question:

Why does Winamp skip when I scroll a window down in Netscape or Word, even though I have a P2-400?

Your video card is taking bus bandwidth from your soundcard, there is nothing that Winamp can do or could do.

What should I do to correct this? Is there any way I can restrict the bandwidth of my video card or better yet allocate a certain amount of it for my on-board sound so that it stops skipping? Thanks in advance.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
sounds like a crock of $hit to me. How can a beast like that get hammered by window movement? I'd look elsewhere.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

pat

Expert
I have a Dragon+ with AMD Athlon XP 1700+ and a radeon 64 DDR vivo and winamp is playing well no mather if I scrool down a window with netscape or any other program... it is not supposed to happen.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

MadCarrot

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
It is very unlikely that the video card is the problem. I can make any MP3 player skip on my A7M266/Athlon 1.33GHz system by starting any kind of hard disc activity. This is because the system is trying to pull data from two different locations off the disc, and that inevitably causes problems. I'd probably put this problem down to a combination of factors, most promoinent being poorly written software.

MC