Does a good motherboard exist?

G

Hey, I'm juts about ready to give up waiting for the nForce 415-D and just build my new system with a KT266a. My problem is that I don't know what board to get, and every time I see someone recommend a given board, three people come along and say that it isn't stable. Do good boards exist, or are they just figments of my imagination?

btw, I don't plan on OCing, so that is not a factor in my purchase.

pat

Expert
The best board is the one that best fit YOUR need. When I've decided to buy my Soyo Dragon+, I've based my choice on my specifics needs, not those of other users. I wanted a fast and stable board first. I'm not a big gamers, just occasional one. So, good on-board sound is really enough for me. And the onboard sound from the cmedia chip is very satifactory for me. RAID is someting that I will concider later, but for now, being able to use the RAID connector as standard HD connector is a welcome plus. the same for onboard LAN. I dont have high speed acces at home, but when I bring my computer at my cousin house, then I can use his and that works very well for me. but, this set-up may not be satifactory for other user. So, check your need, then pick a board and ask advice on this forum from user of the same board. It will be much more useful than standard question like which mobo is best . Basically, most of the newest board are good so it is just a question of needs.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

G

Yeah, the Soyo board looks real nice, but it costs like $140. The Epox one seems to be the best bet for the features I needed (read: pretty much none) and for the price. The Soltek one is actually a few dollars cheaper on newegg and appears to be a bit better than the Epox, but the risk involved with it (shipping it back) isn't worth it, especially with people on here saying they've had problems with it.

Zoma

You may want to consider the shuttle ak35gtr for price and features. I've used the ak31a for over 3 months, with few problems. Shuttle has issued 3 bios upgrades for my board, so support is good, and the bios flash (while running windows) is the easiest I've ever seen.

G

Yeah, I thought about that board, but the reviewers didn't seem to like it. It's currently $25 cheaper than the Epox on newegg, though. Other than performing better, what makes the Epox board better?

Edit: Oops, that was the AK31A, not the K35GTR. The K35GTR is $18 more than the Epox.

Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Zoma on 01/31/02 09:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>