Can I do this...Wireless router -> wireless router -> wire..

Hello.

I'm not sure what the correct term is for what I am trying to accomplish.
(Hub, router, bridge, etc?)

Rather than running a cable to connect one wired hub to another wired hub
in a different room, I would like to make the link between the two hubs
wireless; the computers connected to either hub will use UTP ethernet
cables.

I have a 2wire HomePortal 1000HW which apparently has wireless
capabilities built-in.

-------------------------------
Here's a crude diagram:

HomePortal----UTP---hub----several UTPs to computers

| <-wireless link

Wireless Hub---------several UTPs to computers
-------------------------------

Can something like a Netgear MR814v2 accomplish this? I see that it has
an antenna, and it has 4 jacks for ethernet connections. Can this thing
"talk" to my HomePortal 1000HW?

Thanks in advance for your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about this wireless router wireless router wire

    On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:19:22 GMT, TeleTech
    <tele_tech1212@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote:

    >I'm not sure what the correct term is for what I am trying to accomplish.
    >(Hub, router, bridge, etc?)

    Hub: Repeats everything that goes in one port, out all the other
    ports.

    Bridge: Checks if the MAC address of the destination is on either side
    of the bridge. If on the opposite side, the bridge passes the
    packets. If on the same side, no traffic goes across the bridge. The
    bridge can be a transition between different media types and speeds.
    For example:
    DSL <--> ethernet
    wireless <--> ethernet
    fiber <--> 100baseT
    10/100baseT <--> Gigabit ethernet

    Switch: Same as a bridge but with 3 or more ports.

    Router: Glues two networks together at the IP level (layer 3). One
    network is your home LAN (local area network), the other is the
    greater internet.

    >Rather than running a cable to connect one wired hub to another wired hub
    >in a different room, I would like to make the link between the two hubs
    >wireless; the computers connected to either hub will use UTP ethernet
    >cables.

    You're about to have a big problem. I'll assume that on each side of
    this wireless link, you will have more than one computah. That means
    that a switch will need to pass more than one MAC address through the
    wireless link. If you install a common access point at one end, and a
    generic client radio at the other, the client radio will usually only
    pass one MAC address. This will cause problems.

    In the past, it required that both radios were identical. For
    example, the Linksys WAP11 and DLink DWL-900AP+ will both pass 32 MAC
    address and would work well for glueing together your radio link.

    Recently, a class of "transparent bridge" radios has appeared designed
    to do exactly what you're trying to accomplish. The Linksys WET11 and
    DLink DWL-810 (or DWL-G810) wireless bridges will pass more than one
    MAC address. They also do not require that you use an identical radio
    at the other end. You can use a common access point.

    DWL-G810
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=241

    Looks like the WET11 is no longer on the Linksys web pile. Replaced
    by the WET54GS5. $150/ea. ARGH!
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=615

    There are probably other models available.

    >I have a 2wire HomePortal 1000HW which apparently has wireless
    >capabilities built-in.

    Yep, with a somewhat higher power level than previous incantations.
    http://www.2wire.com/?p=106

    >-------------------------------
    >Here's a crude diagram:
    >
    >HomePortal----UTP---hub----several UTPs to computers
    > |
    > | <-wireless link
    > |
    >Wireless Hub---------several UTPs to computers
    >-------------------------------

    >Can something like a Netgear MR814v2 accomplish this?

    No. Access points do not talk to other access points.

    >I see that it has
    >an antenna, and it has 4 jacks for ethernet connections. Can this thing
    >"talk" to my HomePortal 1000HW?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your help.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    TeleTech <tele_tech1212@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in

    > I'm not sure what the correct term is for what I am trying to accomplish.

    Wirless Distribution System (WDS) or Wirless Link... or a variety of other
    terms.

    Linksys, Dlink, and several other APs support this feature - but you should
    use routers/aps of the same brand.

    --
    Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

    "TeleTech" <tele_tech1212@DELETEyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm not sure what the correct term is for what I am trying to accomplish.
    > (Hub, router, bridge, etc?)
    >
    > Rather than running a cable to connect one wired hub to another wired hub
    > in a different room, I would like to make the link between the two hubs
    > wireless; the computers connected to either hub will use UTP ethernet
    > cables.
    >
    > I have a 2wire HomePortal 1000HW which apparently has wireless
    > capabilities built-in.
    >
    > -------------------------------
    > Here's a crude diagram:
    >
    > HomePortal----UTP---hub----several UTPs to computers
    > |
    > | <-wireless link
    > |
    > Wireless Hub---------several UTPs to computers
    > -------------------------------
    >
    > Can something like a Netgear MR814v2 accomplish this? I see that it has
    > an antenna, and it has 4 jacks for ethernet connections. Can this thing
    > "talk" to my HomePortal 1000HW?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.

    It's unlikely that this will work. What you're trying to setup is a
    wireless bridge. The problem is that there is no standard for a wireless
    bridge, so you must use devices that use the same bridging scheme. While
    there have been some posts about doing this between brands, the only way to
    be really sure is to use models that are documented to work together. Even
    within a brand, not all devices will do this.

    Assuming that there is also an Internet connection to the HomePortal that
    you didn't show, you could replace the HomePortal with a wireless router
    that supports wireless bridging, and in place of the "wireless hub" put an
    access point that will bridge with the router and an Ethernet switch (APs
    usually have only one Ethernet jack). For security and performance reasons,
    use a switch and not a hub. If you go this route with new equipment, buy
    802.11g router and AP; they'll give you more LAN performance and security
    than 802.11b and they'll cost about the same.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Wireless Wireless Router Wireless Networking