Messenger Audio and Video

January 29, 2005 11:43:04 AM

We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote workers. We
can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've enabled
UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn on
ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote Desktop,
etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
What else might be stopping the audio and video?

More about : messenger audio video

January 29, 2005 12:36:42 PM

Did you also open the windows firewall to Netmeeting? (conf.exe)
If using a router it needs UPNP enabled for Messenger (not for Netmeeting)
I bypass my router when using NetMeeting due to NAT ( I believe that can
also place the system you use Netmeeting with in the DMZ in the router, I
just never tried it)

"coyotech" <coyotech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote workers.
> We
> can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've enabled
> UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn on
> ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote
> Desktop,
> etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
> What else might be stopping the audio and video?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:07:02 PM

I am using a router--that was where I disabled the firewall. But how would
you bypass it? It's the gateway...

It is possible to have a dmz on the router. I could put my laptop there. But
since the firewall function is disabled, it seems like that wouldn't be an
advantage. Or maybe better to turn that firewall back on and put the laptop
in the dmz.

I tried routing the Messenger traffic and the UPNP ports to my laptop, but
it didn't seem to help. Just messed some things up for the other computers on
the network.

I have a satellite connection and a home network, with a static IP address.
The satellite reciever isn't a router, so you have to add a router to give
multiple computers internet access. A hub or switch doesn't work. The router
provides DHCP. The satellite reciever has a proxy built in that I can't
configure. However, I think it's only intended to accelerate html pages and
overcome the satellite delay. I don't think it provides NAT, filtering, or
that kind of thing.

"JW" wrote:

> Did you also open the windows firewall to Netmeeting? (conf.exe)
> If using a router it needs UPNP enabled for Messenger (not for Netmeeting)
> I bypass my router when using NetMeeting due to NAT ( I believe that can
> also place the system you use Netmeeting with in the DMZ in the router, I
> just never tried it)
>
> "coyotech" <coyotech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote workers.
> > We
> > can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've enabled
> > UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn on
> > ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote
> > Desktop,
> > etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
> > What else might be stopping the audio and video?

Related resources
January 29, 2005 2:32:54 PM

I think the problem is the satellite connection. I believe that you may be
getting response timeouts due to the lengthy transmission times involved.
I only meant to suggest bypassing the router and connect directly to the
satellite receiver in order to see if the router was part of your problem or
not.

> I am using a router--that was where I disabled the firewall. But how would
> you bypass it? It's the gateway...
>
> It is possible to have a dmz on the router. I could put my laptop there.
> But
> since the firewall function is disabled, it seems like that wouldn't be an
> advantage. Or maybe better to turn that firewall back on and put the
> laptop
> in the dmz.
>
> I tried routing the Messenger traffic and the UPNP ports to my laptop, but
> it didn't seem to help. Just messed some things up for the other computers
> on
> the network.
>
> I have a satellite connection and a home network, with a static IP
> address.
> The satellite reciever isn't a router, so you have to add a router to give
> multiple computers internet access. A hub or switch doesn't work. The
> router
> provides DHCP. The satellite reciever has a proxy built in that I can't
> configure. However, I think it's only intended to accelerate html pages
> and
> overcome the satellite delay. I don't think it provides NAT, filtering, or
> that kind of thing.
>

> "JW" wrote:
>
>> Did you also open the windows firewall to Netmeeting? (conf.exe)
>> If using a router it needs UPNP enabled for Messenger (not for
>> Netmeeting)
>> I bypass my router when using NetMeeting due to NAT ( I believe that can
>> also place the system you use Netmeeting with in the DMZ in the router, I
>> just never tried it)
>>
>> "coyotech" <coyotech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote
>> > workers.
>> > We
>> > can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've
>> > enabled
>> > UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn
>> > on
>> > ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote
>> > Desktop,
>> > etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
>> > What else might be stopping the audio and video?

January 29, 2005 9:25:23 PM

What Sat. system? I had Sat. also once and various online games, video, VPN
etc. were very unreliable or just wouldn't work.
!