Messenger Audio and Video

We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote workers. We
can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've enabled
UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn on
ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote Desktop,
etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
What else might be stopping the audio and video?
4 answers Last reply
More about messenger audio video

    Did you also open the windows firewall to Netmeeting? (conf.exe)
    If using a router it needs UPNP enabled for Messenger (not for Netmeeting)
    I bypass my router when using NetMeeting due to NAT ( I believe that can
    also place the system you use Netmeeting with in the DMZ in the router, I
    just never tried it)

    "coyotech" <coyotech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote workers.
    > We
    > can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've enabled
    > UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn on
    > ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote
    > Desktop,
    > etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
    > What else might be stopping the audio and video?

    I am using a router--that was where I disabled the firewall. But how would
    you bypass it? It's the gateway...

    It is possible to have a dmz on the router. I could put my laptop there. But
    since the firewall function is disabled, it seems like that wouldn't be an
    advantage. Or maybe better to turn that firewall back on and put the laptop
    in the dmz.

    I tried routing the Messenger traffic and the UPNP ports to my laptop, but
    it didn't seem to help. Just messed some things up for the other computers on
    the network.

    I have a satellite connection and a home network, with a static IP address.
    The satellite reciever isn't a router, so you have to add a router to give
    multiple computers internet access. A hub or switch doesn't work. The router
    provides DHCP. The satellite reciever has a proxy built in that I can't
    configure. However, I think it's only intended to accelerate html pages and
    overcome the satellite delay. I don't think it provides NAT, filtering, or
    that kind of thing.

    "JW" wrote:

    > Did you also open the windows firewall to Netmeeting? (conf.exe)
    > If using a router it needs UPNP enabled for Messenger (not for Netmeeting)
    > I bypass my router when using NetMeeting due to NAT ( I believe that can
    > also place the system you use Netmeeting with in the DMZ in the router, I
    > just never tried it)
    >
    > "coyotech" <coyotech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote workers.
    > > We
    > > can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've enabled
    > > UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn on
    > > ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote
    > > Desktop,
    > > etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
    > > What else might be stopping the audio and video?

    I think the problem is the satellite connection. I believe that you may be
    getting response timeouts due to the lengthy transmission times involved.
    I only meant to suggest bypassing the router and connect directly to the
    satellite receiver in order to see if the router was part of your problem or
    not.

    > I am using a router--that was where I disabled the firewall. But how would
    > you bypass it? It's the gateway...
    >
    > It is possible to have a dmz on the router. I could put my laptop there.
    > But
    > since the firewall function is disabled, it seems like that wouldn't be an
    > advantage. Or maybe better to turn that firewall back on and put the
    > laptop
    > in the dmz.
    >
    > I tried routing the Messenger traffic and the UPNP ports to my laptop, but
    > it didn't seem to help. Just messed some things up for the other computers
    > on
    > the network.
    >
    > I have a satellite connection and a home network, with a static IP
    > address.
    > The satellite reciever isn't a router, so you have to add a router to give
    > multiple computers internet access. A hub or switch doesn't work. The
    > router
    > provides DHCP. The satellite reciever has a proxy built in that I can't
    > configure. However, I think it's only intended to accelerate html pages
    > and
    > overcome the satellite delay. I don't think it provides NAT, filtering, or
    > that kind of thing.
    >

    > "JW" wrote:
    >
    >> Did you also open the windows firewall to Netmeeting? (conf.exe)
    >> If using a router it needs UPNP enabled for Messenger (not for
    >> Netmeeting)
    >> I bypass my router when using NetMeeting due to NAT ( I believe that can
    >> also place the system you use Netmeeting with in the DMZ in the router, I
    >> just never tried it)
    >>
    >> "coyotech" <coyotech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > We're using Messenger and Netmeeting to collaborate with remote
    >> > workers.
    >> > We
    >> > can connect at work, but I can't get audio or video at home. I've
    >> > enabled
    >> > UPNP, and turned off my hardware firewall, which wouldn't let me turn
    >> > on
    >> > ports. I opened the Windows firewall to Messenger and UPNP, Remote
    >> > Desktop,
    >> > etc. Still no multimedia connections with Messenger, use the text.
    >> > What else might be stopping the audio and video?

    What Sat. system? I had Sat. also once and various online games, video, VPN
    etc. were very unreliable or just wouldn't work.

Messenger Audio Video Windows XP