Windows or MSN Messenger....

I am confused....what Messanger am I meant to use for Windows XP.

I was using 4.7 of Win Mess and then "upgraded" to MSN Mess but hated all of
those extra tabs for chat rooms etc (something my kids DON'T need!) so I
uninstalled MSN and went back to Win Mess 4.7.

Now for some reason it no longer auto-logins it loads but doesn't login.

So I have now gone to Win Mess 5.1 (which I didn't know even
existed)....have yet to test the auto-login.

MS, please sort out this confusion.

Wayne,
Probably the reason you have not received a reply to your question by the
experts is because they are tired of repeating the same information.
However, you might try posing your question on "Google" or "Ask Geeves"
search engines.
I would begin by looking at the MS document
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330117, it talks
about MSN Windows 5.0 and we are now up to 6.2 but basically the information
is correct.

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I am confused....what Messanger am I meant to use for Windows XP.
>
> I was using 4.7 of Win Mess and then "upgraded" to MSN Mess but hated all
> of those extra tabs for chat rooms etc (something my kids DON'T need!) so
> I uninstalled MSN and went back to Win Mess 4.7.
>
> Now for some reason it no longer auto-logins it loads but doesn't login.
>
> So I have now gone to Win Mess 5.1 (which I didn't know even
> existed)....have yet to test the auto-login.
>
> MS, please sort out this confusion.

MSN Windows 5.0 should read MSN Messenger 5.0

"Clive" <anomynous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Wayne,
> Probably the reason you have not received a reply to your question by the
> experts is because they are tired of repeating the same information.
> However, you might try posing your question on "Google" or "Ask Geeves"
> search engines.
> I would begin by looking at the MS document
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330117, it talks
> about MSN Windows 5.0 and we are now up to 6.2 but basically the
> information is correct.
>
> "Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>>I am confused....what Messanger am I meant to use for Windows XP.
>>
>> I was using 4.7 of Win Mess and then "upgraded" to MSN Mess but hated all
>> of those extra tabs for chat rooms etc (something my kids DON'T need!) so
>> I uninstalled MSN and went back to Win Mess 4.7.
>>
>> Now for some reason it no longer auto-logins it loads but doesn't login.
>>
>> So I have now gone to Win Mess 5.1 (which I didn't know even
>> existed)....have yet to test the auto-login.
>>
>> MS, please sort out this confusion.

ANYONE????

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I am confused....what Messanger am I meant to use for Windows XP.
>
> I was using 4.7 of Win Mess and then "upgraded" to MSN Mess but hated all
> of those extra tabs for chat rooms etc (something my kids DON'T need!) so
> I uninstalled MSN and went back to Win Mess 4.7.
>
> Now for some reason it no longer auto-logins it loads but doesn't login.
>
> So I have now gone to Win Mess 5.1 (which I didn't know even
> existed)....have yet to test the auto-login.
>
> MS, please sort out this confusion.

Can't anyone help?

And why does it not autologon?

"Wayne Boxall" <boxall_w@NOSPAM.yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I am confused....what Messanger am I meant to use for Windows XP.
>
> I was using 4.7 of Win Mess and then "upgraded" to MSN Mess but hated all
> of those extra tabs for chat rooms etc (something my kids DON'T need!) so
> I uninstalled MSN and went back to Win Mess 4.7.
>
> Now for some reason it no longer auto-logins it loads but doesn't login.
>
> So I have now gone to Win Mess 5.1 (which I didn't know even
> existed)....have yet to test the auto-login.
>
> MS, please sort out this confusion.

you can use either MSN or Windows messenger for XP, but MSN will not work
without windows messenger installed. What one you use is up to you -
depending what you want from the software (i.e. do you want what MSN
Messenger offers or what Windows Messenger offers). It would appear you
prefer Windows messenger so if it does what you want and you prefer it stick
with that one.
For your log in problem try opening Windows Messenger, go to tools, options,
preferences and check that 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' is
checked and also 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' is
checked.
I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a shot.

Sorry i made a mistake with what i said you should do for the auto log-in.
When you log in manually the screen which you enter your username and
password should have a box below it with 'Sign me in automatically' next it.
Ensure this box has a tick in it and the next time you load Windows Messenger
it should log you in automatically. If you still have the problem then i am
unab;e to help you and you may want to seek further help.
Hope it does help.

Hi,

MSN Messenger will work fine without Windows Messenger (for the record, I don't even have
Windows Messenger installed on my primary desktop right now). Remote Assistance, Whiteboard
and Application Sharing won't work, but otherwise it will be fine.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Michael E" <MichaelE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> you can use either MSN or Windows messenger for XP, but MSN will not work
> without windows messenger installed. What one you use is up to you -
> depending what you want from the software (i.e. do you want what MSN
> Messenger offers or what Windows Messenger offers). It would appear you
> prefer Windows messenger so if it does what you want and you prefer it stick
> with that one.
> For your log in problem try opening Windows Messenger, go to tools, options,
> preferences and check that 'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' is
> checked and also 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background' is
> checked.
> I'm not sure if this will work but it's worth a shot.

Wayne,
I was having the same problem until today. Here is what I had to do.
I went into Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows
Components and removed MSN Explorer. Then I completely uninstalled
Windows Messenger this web page tells you how
http://www.petri.co.il/uninstall_windows_messenger_in_windows_xp.htm
I, then, rebooted and reinstalled Windows Messenger 5.1. It now
autostarts when I log into Windows.

I hope this works for you.

--
harrismk