Windows Messenger OK, MSN Messenger problems

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

MSN messenger 6.4 nicely works for video (without audio),
chatting and sending files.

Whiteboard, audio (with and without video) doesn't work
with MSN messenger.

Strangly, Windows Messenger 5.0 works fine: audio, video,
whiteboard

So what is wrong and how can I make sure MSN messenger
performs all the functions.

jw

Steve wrote:
> MSN messenger 6.4 nicely works for video (without audio),
> chatting and sending files.
>
> Whiteboard, audio (with and without video) doesn't work
> with MSN messenger.
>
> Strangly, Windows Messenger 5.0 works fine: audio, video,
> whiteboard
>
> So what is wrong and how can I make sure MSN messenger
> performs all the functions.

lots of things could be wrong. there's lots of different answers
because there's lots of different system configurations/components.
maybe nobody has answered yet, because it would take months to provide
all the possible answers for all the possible system configurations.

what features, components, and system configuration are you using ? XP
SP1 or SP2 ? a hardware router/NAT device with a firewall ? or ICS ?
an ad-hoc peer-to-peer network with a plug-in wireless network card ?
a software firewall ? ICF or some other firewall ? is Universal PnP
installed and turned on ? what hardware are you using for audio and
video ? are these devices on Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility List ?
did you use the Tuning Wizard ?

what have you tried thus far (to troubleshoot the problem) ? have you
tried disabling anything ? have you tried a simple search on this
newsgroup for the words "audio" and "problem" ? if you did, you would
probably get a thousand matches. every day somebody comes to this
newsgroup posting problems using audio with Messenger. sometimes 3-4
times in a single day. your answers might be as close as a simple
search of this newsgroup.