Dimension 4550 Hard drive problem

eb

I had two drives connected as Cable Select, everything woked OK.
Entering Setup in the BIOS both drives recognized etc.

When I tried to remove the secondary drive, and set the BIOS for one
drive only, it would not enter the BIOS and just hung at "Entering Setup".

Do I need to change the Primary drive setting from Cable Select to
Master for only one drive? OR does the only drive have to be in a
particulr physical position in the rack?

I cannot understand why it it not entering Setup with just one drive?

Thanks.

No need to change the jumpers on the remaining hard disk. "Cable select"
means that the drive knows whether it's primary or secondary by its position
on the cable. The remaining drive should be attached to the end (not the
middle) of the cable feeding into the primary IDE channel.

There is no need to "set the BIOS", whatever that means. The BIOS detects
the drive by itself.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
> I had two drives connected as Cable Select, everything woked OK.
> Entering Setup in the BIOS both drives recognized etc.
>
> When I tried to remove the secondary drive, and set the BIOS for one
> drive only, it would not enter the BIOS and just hung at "Entering Setup".
>
> Do I need to change the Primary drive setting from Cable Select to
> Master for only one drive? OR does the only drive have to be in a
> particulr physical position in the rack?
>
> I cannot understand why it it not entering Setup with just one drive?
>
> Thanks.

"EB" <eb@news.net> wrote in message
>I had two drives connected as Cable Select, everything woked OK. Entering
>Setup in the BIOS both drives recognized etc.
>
> When I tried to remove the secondary drive, and set the BIOS for one drive
> only, it would not enter the BIOS and just hung at "Entering Setup".
>
> Do I need to change the Primary drive setting from Cable Select to Master
> for only one drive? OR does the only drive have to be in a particulr
> physical position in the rack?
>
> I cannot understand why it it not entering Setup with just one drive?
>
> Thanks.

A single drive HAS to be on the end of the cable.

Tom

In addition to the other comments, enter the motherboard BIOS setup and set the
slave device on the primary channel to OFF, instead of AUTO... Ben Myers

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:06:15 GMT, EB <eb@news.net> wrote:

>I had two drives connected as Cable Select, everything woked OK.
>Entering Setup in the BIOS both drives recognized etc.
>
>When I tried to remove the secondary drive, and set the BIOS for one
>drive only, it would not enter the BIOS and just hung at "Entering Setup".
>
>Do I need to change the Primary drive setting from Cable Select to
>Master for only one drive? OR does the only drive have to be in a
>particulr physical position in the rack?
>
>I cannot understand why it it not entering Setup with just one drive?
>
>Thanks.

eb

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> No need to change the jumpers on the remaining hard disk. "Cable select"
> means that the drive knows whether it's primary or secondary by its position
> on the cable. The remaining drive should be attached to the end (not the
> middle) of the cable feeding into the primary IDE channel.
>
> There is no need to "set the BIOS", whatever that means. The BIOS detects
> the drive by itself.

Thanks. I will try again.

Still don't know what you meant by "set the BIOS", but do heed Ben's post.

Ted Zieglar