Is this a motherboard problem?

G

A friend recently bought a few parts to upgrade here computer. She had an old 300mhz K6, 8 gb HD, 4x cd-rom, 16x10x40x cd-rw, an s3 video card, a unknown brand sound card, 128 mb ram.

She had limited funds so she bought a 1.33 athlon t-bird, Elitegroup k7s5a mobo with a SiS735 chipset. I threw in a few parts I had laying around my house. An Aureal 2.0 sound card, elsa gladiac geforce2 gts card, I pulled out 1 64 mb stick of ram and added another 128mb ram( 192 mb total).

I put it all together in her old case, everything fit. Hooked up peripherals. Turned it on. The motherboard turned on, the proc and geforce fans turned on. I didnt hear the hard drive moving. The light on the burner was lit but I could not open either the burner or the cd-rom. The monitor was blank. I heard the speakers pop when I turned it on. I checked to make sure everything was connected properly and everything looked good. I checked the power supply. It was 230W. Thinking there wasn't enough power going to everything I dug up a decent 300w power supply. Hooked it all up. Check all wires. Made sure the video card was seated properly. Tried to boot it. Same thing happened as before.

Is the motherboard defective or did I do something wrong? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

G

thanks for the suggestion. It still didnt work. I will exchange the board tomorrow and hope it will work.

Thanks again!

svol

Champion
Probably a bad mobo, with ECS yoo have a higher chance for DOA but if you get a working version it will run fine.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Latest posts