Sign in with
Your question

Soyo Dragon+, nothing on power up

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2002 4:21:49 PM

I'm stumped.

I'm building a new system (specs below) and I get absolutely nothing on startup. At first I thought I had a dead motherboard, so I returned it and got a replacement. I'm still getting nothing. The LED on the motherboard is on, the leds on my cd drive and cd burner are on, the trays open, the floppy light comes on, all fans are go.

I've tried everything I can think of, including placing the board on a table with just the CPU and speaker hooked up, still nothing.

Any suggestions?

SoyoDragon+
Athlon XP 2000+
GlobalWin WBK38
1GB Kingston 184 pin, PC2100
Antec 400W PS
LeadTek WinFast geforce3 Ti200
SB Audigy Gamer

Thanks,
t

More about : soyo dragon power

February 1, 2002 8:00:42 PM

Is your CPU fan connected to the cpufan1 connector on your motherboard? If it is not, then the mobo simply wont start because it cannot sense the fan running and the prevent the CPU to start because it thinks that it may not have good cooling. Also, if the fan stop working, then the mobo will sense that and shut down the system, to prevent damage to the CPU/mobo.

If you want to bypass this protection, then hold the INS key when you start your system. then go in the bios and look for the FOC option somewhere and diseable it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 1, 2002 8:11:19 PM

Well, turns out my processor is toast. I just borrowed another processor from a friend and I get beeps with his. I'm glad I finally figured this out...even though I'll have to wait for a replacement processor.
Related resources
February 2, 2002 9:13:18 AM

What was the reason that it fried?

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2002 1:00:24 PM

I think the only way I would find out how it happened would be if I did it again...so hopefully I never find out!

Honestly though, a friend and I were trying everything to get the computer to run, so right now there are too many possibilities to choose from. One of the things we tried was plugging the cpu fan directly into the mainboard, turns out that that shouldnt have been a problem, but who knows. Maybe the board survived but the processor didnt?

This is the first computer that I've built, but my friends second or third and we were both stumped. I didn't exactly have extra processors at my disposal to eliminate the processor as the problem right away.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2002 8:48:18 PM

Your board could be grounded, that's why it didn't start. What kind of heatsink fan do you have? Try to get a good heatsink fan because you don't want you money to go up in smoke.
!