440BX question

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
It sure can, but with limited bandwidth if your board only supports 2x AGP (as is the case with most BX based boards).

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree. I would wait until you can afford a new motherboard, processor, and memory before I buy a new videocard. I don't really think you'll be able to take full advantage of the videocard with the 440BX.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, definitely yes, but with reduced performance, and as long as you dont push it with high action games and/or you have a high quality motherboard.

Ti200 is a AGP4X ard, while the BX supports only AGP2X, so its performance is downgraded. and if you use it to play heavyduty 3D games or do some heavyduty image processing and 3D rendering on a cheap motherboard (what else Ti200 used for?) your motherboard could be damaged.

the older AGP2X spec limits the current to much lower value (~6A) then even the RivaTNT2 draws (~9.5A) when working at full steam. I would expect Ti200 needs more! There were numerous cases of RivaTNT2 frying the cheap BX board.

Be careful using that card, else just wait for the latest AGP4X compliant motherboard for the card. Your BX board will be under-utilising it and may well be a risk too!

You seem to be an Indian, good to see one. If you stay around Pune I might be able to help.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

I'm not so sure that there will be much of a performance DECREASE with the BX boards. I do some serious overclocking myself. On mad onion I'm number one in my default category with few of my older comp setups.
right now I'm running a P3 1gig at 1170 for my best score of 6752......http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2581603......
I can go to 1253 with reduced memory timings and get a score of 6523 at 167fsb.....http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2616825..............
both are good scores but Im still in second place in the 1202 down class with a G3 TI200. Beaten only by a Abit BX133 raid system with the BX chipset.
The BX has a much better memoy performance. This makes up for the loss of AGP4X. Here is the compare url for the bx system.......http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2224778..........
So on a good overclocking board the BX chipset will out perform all other boards at 133fsb and above. If you do not plan on overclocking go with the TUSL2-C board. If youplan on tweeking and overclocking I would suggest the Abit BX 133 raid board.

I aint signing nothing!!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
true, performance loss may not be significant if the motherboard <i>and</i> memory is good. but what could one say to such a generic question!?

anyway even if he has a crappy board, he is at a risk of frying it with the Ti200!

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Well its pretty common knowledge that you shouldn't use a crappy graphics card when pumping a BX up to 133FSB.

I suppose generic PC-133 would be fine at this, but if you're into taking a BX up to 133FSB, you're probably in the know about CAS 2 etc.

:cool: <b><font color=blue>The Cisco Kid</font color=blue></b> :cool:

G

I have the 440BX board with GeForce 2 GTS/DDR Running without any problems, but...
I run the 3DMark2001 benchmark and I could clearly tell that my 440BX/CPU is a serious bottleneck. I don't know what the case with the GeForce3 is, but I bet it's even worse. I defiantly recommend an upgrade to a better system in order to take full advantages of the card.
My new P4 system has been ordered. :)