Anybody know anything about the asus a7v266?

G

Hello, Im fairly new to the hardware aspect of computing. Up to now Ive been a networking, software geek. Anyhow, I just purchased an Asus a7v266 mobo and an athlon XP 1700. I have gotten it installed okay, but I have a few questions. 1st - what is the story with all the dip switches and jumper settings? I just installed it the way that the board came out of the box. I don't know enough about these things to know if I may be harming my mobo or processor because of power/heat issues as a result.
2nd - in the asus probe software, it shows that my processor and mobo are constantly rising in temp. Is that normal?
3rd (and heres my REAL issue) - again in the asus probe software in the "monitoring" tab, it shows that the power fan monitor is paused. when I unpause it, my computer starts to click and I get a message saying that the power fan is below threshhold. Is this something I should be concerned about? Can it be fixed? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as Im a financially challenged student and can't afford to replace this hardware should I screw it up. Again, TIA.

G

Im not a moron. I read the freakin manual cover to cover. I even downloaded the updated manual from the asus website. FUNNY...all it has info about the motherboard. No settings specifics (as to the meaning and funtion of the dip switches and jumpers...it says if you want this on, put the switch this way. No explanation as to why or why not to use the feature. Additionally it gives no info on the meanings of the pc probe entries, what the normal operating temps of the mobo or processor should be, or oddly enough NO ANSWERS TO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS THAT I ASKED IN THIS FORUM. So THANKS LOADS FOR YOUR SAGELIKE HELP, DICK.

So anyhow, if anyone has anything USEFUL, PLEASE give me a hand...personal experience, good resources, ANYTHING!

MikeD340

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2002
Syrinx, I'm in similar shoes. I recently built my first cpu (after spending much time learning about networking @ software) and used the same mobo & processor. I've got 512MB DDR, and I set up an Adaptec 1200A Raid controller card with 2 x 7200RPM Maxtor 40GB Hard Drives for music/movies (and an IBM 13GB Drive for the OS and other apps/files). Radeon 64MB Graphics card, and ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner. US Robotics PCI wireless network adaptor (hate running cable all over the house). Started off running Windows 2K, but the system crashed all the time. Now I've upgraded to XP and I'm getting similar results. Needless to say I'm lost, and I agree w/ you that the mobo's manual doesn't help much. If I find anything out though, I'll be sure to pass it on!

Please laugh, because I don't have a witty signature yet. :eek:

svol

Champion
Sorry but I can't help you with the mobo settings, but I can answer your other questions:
2. It is normal that the temps rise after startup but after a certain time they will stop rising, if they don't stop you might have to little airflow inside your case (casefans) and the heat of your CPU can't get out of the case.
3. If you don't have the fan of your powersupply connected to the mbo it will not be able to read the rpm of the fan and thus give an error that the fan isn't moving.

BTW you might want to try <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com" target="_new">MBM 5</A> instead of Asus PCProbe.

Hope this helps.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

Thanks alot for taking the time anyway. Aside from the problems i mentioned, Im having a great time with the new mobo and processor, but if I find out anything, I'll let YOU know, ha ha. Thanks again.

G

Svol, thanks for your help. I broke open the case and found I had hooked the powerfan to the wrong connection, so now it seems to be fine. Also, I will try that other software. Again, Thanks!

svol

Champion
I found some info about the jumper/dip-switch settings, take a look at this page:
<A HREF="http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7v266/jumper.htm" target="_new">http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7v266/jumper.htm</A>
I think it is best that you leave them all to jumperfree mode, but you might want to check if the Voltage is set to 1.75/1.725 V.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .