Windows messenger / MSN Messenger

My computer came with Windows Messenger 4.7,, Is Windows
messenger and MSN Messenger the same product but just
different versions?
1 answer Last reply
More about windows messenger messenger

    Greetings Les,

    Not at all -- they are entirely separate products. There are several differences between the
    two. Most notably, MSN Messenger 6 has support for display pictures, custom emoticons, has a
    different interface, etc. whereas Windows Messenger supports SIP-based communications
    services, Exchange IM Server, etc. Which one you use is up to you if you're simply using the
    most basic functionality, connecting to the public .NET Messenger service) and a matter of
    personal choice. However one thing to keep in mind, Windows Messenger must still be installed
    on Windows XP in order for MSN Messenger to retain full functionality (Remote Assistance,
    Whiteboard, Application Sharing, etc.).

    MSN Messenger is centered around MSN technologies (Hotmail, MSN Member Profiles, MSN Mobile,
    etc.) whereas Windows Messenger is centered around Windows technologies (Exchange Server,
    Office Live Communications Server, Windows Netmeeting, etc.).
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Les" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer came with Windows Messenger 4.7,, Is Windows
    > messenger and MSN Messenger the same product but just
    > different versions?

Messenger Microsoft MSN Messenger Windows XP