carpenter

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Looking for advice for my onboard sound problem. I'm running windows XP with the Soyo Dragon+. The driver that came with the board plays some sounds but not others. When I play midi files I get no sound. When I play Gunloc I get no sound. The new driver update for XP gives me no sound at all. After trying to get it to work better I now have worse window system sounds. Contemplating buying a sound card to fix this problem. Any ideas I'm willing to listen Thanks, Ward.

pat

Expert
remove all the drivers you now have in your system and restart. the install the newest drivers that you downloaded on the soyo site and install them. Then go in the mixer and un-mute all of the input and put the volume of each of them to the max. Give me news after that

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

pat

Expert
Is your system overclocked? do you have aa old PCI card that could mess with interruppt sharing?

carpenter

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
The system is not over clocked and It's not on turbo. I have a no name 56k modem card installed. I'm not using the modem card at this time. Because I'm using the onboard 10/100 Ethernet. I'm not sure how the Interrupt sharing works but looking in the registry the modem is using IRQ 10 and sound device is using IRQ 11.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by carpenter on 02/02/02 04:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
well, try removing it just to see if you're no using it. Sometimes modem mess with sound, especially voice modem.
I'm usin onboard sound with LAN too and my 56K modem is an external modem connected to com 1..or it 2?

Well, the more I'm thinking, that maybe your modem.

carpenter

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
hmmm, I got the modem card out and removed the program. Rebooted, yet theres still no sound. I wrote to soyo a couple of times and they have not got back to me. When I first installed the motherboard and the original driver I did'nt have sound so finally I found the speaker configuration area under the volume tap and found that my 4.l system would only work when I chose 5.1 or quad. In Xp choices, which did'nt unlock the full potential of the speakers, one would play with out sub and the other won't play two of the satellites. As you now know the new driver gives me no sound.

pat

Expert
oups..ok to fast to post.

you must have 5 or 6 speakers connected to your computer in order to use the 5.1. If you have only 2 satellites and a bass speakers as I have, then you shoud try to select 2 speakers to try at first if with that config the sound works.

Do you have set the number of speakers right in the c-media mixer, not the windows one. You will find it in the windows directory of your system partition. If not, then search for mixer

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pat on 02/02/02 05:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

carpenter

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
I don't know what's going on with this sound issue I have 4 satellites and 1 sub going. Thats why I chose the 5.1 or the surround sound option. Do you think that a new sound card would resolve my sound problems? And have you heard of any compatibility problems between soyo dragon+ and windows xp?

pat

Expert
I've posted my post too fast at first time. So I'm not sure if you have read the update. I have Win XP, I'm using onboard sound and everything is great. This thing never want to crash and I reboot only when I update drivers or programs. But I have to set the speakers option with the c-media mixer otherwise it wont works. And, do you have the latest 4-in-1 installed. WinXP can works without them, but to have acces to the DMA feature for drive and other things, I recommand that you install them.

carpenter

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2002
Pat, Thank you. Thats what it was, in the mixer, advance tab, speaker configuration. Now everything plays right. Thanks again for your help Ward.

pat

Expert
you're welcome.

In win98, the mixer was put by default in the systray. But not in WinXP, so it is not easy to figure that it actualy exist...