Problem Burning CD's Directly From XP

I have an I6000 laptop with XP Home and a CD RW/DVD R drive. When I
try to burn a cd (Imation 700 mb -R) directly from XP, the wizard
insists there is no disc in the drive. The system reads previously
burnt cd's and dvd's with no problem - both commercial and homemade.
When I use a 3rd party burning program - either Sonic or Nero - there
is no problem. I tried deleting and replacing the burner's driver. No
change. I've checked both MSoft's and Dell's websites and forums with
no success. Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

"Miami Mailman" <NotDisgruntled@PostOffice.gov> wrote in message
>I have an I6000 laptop with XP Home and a CD RW/DVD R drive. When I
> try to burn a cd (Imation 700 mb -R) directly from XP, the wizard
> insists there is no disc in the drive. The system reads previously
> burnt cd's and dvd's with no problem - both commercial and homemade.
> When I use a 3rd party burning program - either Sonic or Nero - there
> is no problem. I tried deleting and replacing the burner's driver. No
> change. I've checked both MSoft's and Dell's websites and forums with
> no success. Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

Perhaps either Nero or Sonic has a setting that is indicating (or looking
for) blank DVD media. Personally, I'd recommend you pick one of the two
apps to use and uninstall the other.

It could also be that one of those apps has set the optical as a virtual
drive and captured it, and WinXP can't properly see the media.

It's very likely a software application setting, bottom line.

Stew

tonys

keep using 3rd party software for burning....

"Miami Mailman" <NotDisgruntled@PostOffice.gov> wrote in message
>I have an I6000 laptop with XP Home and a CD RW/DVD R drive. When I
> try to burn a cd (Imation 700 mb -R) directly from XP, the wizard
> insists there is no disc in the drive. The system reads previously
> burnt cd's and dvd's with no problem - both commercial and homemade.
> When I use a 3rd party burning program - either Sonic or Nero - there
> is no problem. I tried deleting and replacing the burner's driver. No
> change. I've checked both MSoft's and Dell's websites and forums with
> no success. Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

So much for Microsoft's wizardry. XP's built-in CD burning is a lame attempt by
Microsoft to once again put 3rd party CD burning software out of business.
Continue using Sonic, or Nero, or NTI's EZ CD Creator, or the totally free
CDBurnerXPPro... Ben Myers

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 20:52:37 -0400, Miami Mailman
<NotDisgruntled@PostOffice.gov> wrote:

>I have an I6000 laptop with XP Home and a CD RW/DVD R drive. When I
>try to burn a cd (Imation 700 mb -R) directly from XP, the wizard
>insists there is no disc in the drive. The system reads previously
>burnt cd's and dvd's with no problem - both commercial and homemade.
>When I use a 3rd party burning program - either Sonic or Nero - there
>is no problem. I tried deleting and replacing the burner's driver. No
>change. I've checked both MSoft's and Dell's websites and forums with
>no success. Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>Dave

"Miami Mailman" <NotDisgruntled@PostOffice.gov> wrote in message
>I have an I6000 laptop with XP Home and a CD RW/DVD R drive. When I
> try to burn a cd (Imation 700 mb -R) directly from XP, the wizard
> insists there is no disc in the drive. The system reads previously
> burnt cd's and dvd's with no problem - both commercial and homemade.
> When I use a 3rd party burning program - either Sonic or Nero - there
> is no problem. I tried deleting and replacing the burner's driver. No
> change. I've checked both MSoft's and Dell's websites and forums with
> no success. Any suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

When the Sonic and Nero applications are installed does that installation
disable the Microsoft CD burning software? In other words, when Sonic and
Nero's software is installed maybe the software disables the Window's XP CD
burning software therefore requiring the user to use only Sonic's or Nero's
software.

This is only a guess.

Let us know if and how you solved this situation.

Leigh

PeterD

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:25:30 GMT, "Leigh" <lrcite@yahoowhohoohoo.com>
wrote:

>When the Sonic and Nero applications are installed does that installation
>disable the Microsoft CD burning software? In other words, when Sonic and
>Nero's software is installed maybe the software disables the Window's XP CD
>burning software therefore requiring the user to use only Sonic's or Nero's
>software.

Roxio doesn't disable the XP burnerm and Nero doesn't either.

I've burned CD-Rs with XP and Nero with Nero installed. Works. (I'd
had Nero installed to burn DVDs...)

However both may be higher on the priority list so they grab the drive
when a blank CD-R is inserted.

Though most say that the Windows built-in burner is a massive vacuum
source, for simple burns it works OK most of the time, adn is simple
to use. IMHO....

"PeterD" <peter2@hipson.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 04:25:30 GMT, "Leigh" <lrcite@yahoowhohoohoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>When the Sonic and Nero applications are installed does that installation
>>disable the Microsoft CD burning software? In other words, when Sonic and
>>Nero's software is installed maybe the software disables the Window's XP
>>CD
>>burning software therefore requiring the user to use only Sonic's or
>>Nero's
>>software.
>>

> Roxio doesn't disable the XP burnerm and Nero doesn't either.
>
> I've burned CD-Rs with XP and Nero with Nero installed. Works. (I'd
> had Nero installed to burn DVDs...)
>
> However both may be higher on the priority list so they grab the drive
> when a blank CD-R is inserted.
>
> Though most say that the Windows built-in burner is a massive vacuum
> source, for simple burns it works OK most of the time, adn is simple
> to use. IMHO....

Thanks for your answer, Peter D. This was just a question that occurred to
me when I read the original post.

Leigh