CES 2010: LG Stuffs Blu-ray in NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Nice, just what I need for all the videos from my HG Camcorder... thing is I might be able to build a cheap pc in a half tower case with a blu ray burner and more hard drive space and a gigabit network card cheaper

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
All I want is a cheap all-region Blu-ray player that can play every format under the sun, and has support for DLNA/uPnP so I can stream from my existing NAS server. Oh yes, and built-in WiFi N standard as well.

fafner

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
LOL. what a dumb idea. An NAS like this is most likely headless and managed remotely anyway. Why put a burner in a machine that no one will ever sit in front of?

Seems rather odd. I supose if they put a burner in there that could burn 16 layer disks at 400GB a pop it could be used for external backups. If they did they probably would have mentioned that in the specs so we are left with a rather odd solution. It cant be reasonbly used to backup the NAS which could be nice for a really smal business. Most NAS are probably in a closet/computer room somewhere so its not usefull for any other purpose. Yeah I dont get it either.

G

For us mac users it could be nice, especially if you have a mini, or an imac without blu-ray.

G

The difference with the older version is the main board:
Duo-core processor @ 1.6GHz and new RAID chipset instead of the older 500MHz standard RAID processor found on most NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.