Soltek SL-75DRV2 temperatures WAY out of whack?!

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
I just recently purchased this Soltek board on THG's recommendation in their KT266A review. I did not use their little diode, as I don't plan on overclocking the board any time soon. When I go into the BIOS to check my temps, I get two temps in the "Smartdoc" field: "temperature 1" which gradually increases as the system stays on longer and tops out around 50C depending on my case being open or not. I can only assume this is the CPU. "Temperature 2" has a minus sign in paranthases next to it like this: "(-)" I've never seen it move up or down and it stays at 55C. Now, the motherboard came with a program called "ITE Smart Guardian" that is supposed to measure my temperatures. It lists the first temperature (which I assume it thinks is the CPU) at 201C!!! The second temp hovers around 36C-40C. Now, the CPU CAN'T be running that hot, or else the core would be toast! Right? Where is it getting this reading from? I tried MBM 5, and there are about seven different places it reads temperatures from, and the only one that seems even close to right is listing at 96C, which still sounds outrageously high. Any thoughts or ideas?

G

The negative reading on your temperture 2 field is because you don't have that thermal diode connected to the motherboard. If you hook it up then it will read the temperture of whatever it is in contact with.

I also noticed that glitch in that Smart Gaurdian program. It seems that temp1 and temp2 are reversed. Also noticed that if you set it to display the degrees in fahrenheit the readings switch but the temperture is off if you do the converision.