  • MSN
  • Messenger
  • Windows XP
February 8, 2005 8:16:34 AM

I have Windows Messenger 5.1 and MSN Messenger 6.2
installed with Windows XP

I tried to install the MSN add-on that would allow email
alerts etc.. to be accessed through Windows Messenger the
same way as MSN 6.2, however, when I try to install this
Add-On, get an error stating I do not have the latest
version of Windows Messenger, as far as I know 5.1 is the
latest version, does anyone know a work around or solution?

Thank you.

More about : windows messenger msn add

February 8, 2005 1:49:56 PM

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 1:59:56 PM

Greetings David,

Add-In support was removed with Windows Messenger 4.7.3000 and Windows Messenger 5.x. In
order to have the Hotmail functionality that you have in MSN Messenger in Windows Messenger
you'll need to downgrade back to Windows Messenger 4.7.2009:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b4...
and use the Add-In here:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73...
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows Messenger 5.1 and MSN Messenger 6.2
> installed with Windows XP
>
> I tried to install the MSN add-on that would allow email
> alerts etc.. to be accessed through Windows Messenger the
> same way as MSN 6.2, however, when I try to install this
> Add-On, get an error stating I do not have the latest
> version of Windows Messenger, as far as I know 5.1 is the
> latest version, does anyone know a work around or solution?
>
> Thank you.
February 8, 2005 1:59:57 PM

Thank You ............ I tried that, but I get an error
message when I try to install the Add-In, that I need the
latest Version of Windows Messenger downloaded. Is there a
work around this problem?

Kay.

>"David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>>I have Windows Messenger 5.1 and MSN Messenger 6.2
>> installed with Windows XP
>>
>> I tried to install the MSN add-on that would allow email
>> alerts etc.. to be accessed through Windows Messenger the
>> same way as MSN 6.2, however, when I try to install this
>> Add-On, get an error stating I do not have the latest
>> version of Windows Messenger, as far as I know 5.1 is the
>> latest version, does anyone know a work around or solution?
>>
>> Thank you.
>

>.

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:35:13 PM

Hi,

Yes, install Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 that I linked you to below.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Thank You ............ I tried that, but I get an error
message when I try to install the Add-In, that I need the
latest Version of Windows Messenger downloaded. Is there a
work around this problem?

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:35:14 PM

Thank You ... How do I fully remove 5.1 before I download 4.7?

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:35:14 PM

My msconfig does not have an entry for trayserver

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:47:24 PM

Hi,

Um, I'm not following; what's trayserver got to do with it?
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

My msconfig does not have an entry for trayserver

Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:48:20 PM

Hi,

The 4.7 setup should uninstall it for you. If it doesn't (for some odd reason), you can
uninstall 5.1 by clicking Start, then Run, and entering the following path:
msiexec /x {C3A6819F-62D3-4750-AF1C-28206DDF2C2E}
then clicking OK.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

Thank You ... How do I fully remove 5.1 before I download 4.7?

February 10, 2005 2:51:01 AM

The link for this does not work currently.
Do you have a link for 4.7.3000?
Thanks.

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, install Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 that I linked you to below.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank You ............ I tried that, but I get an error
> message when I try to install the Add-In, that I need the
> latest Version of Windows Messenger downloaded. Is there a
> work around this problem?

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 5:12:07 PM

Hi Brian,

4.7.3000 and 4.7.3001 do not support Add-Ins, you *NEED* to install 4.7.2009 as below.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert

"Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 5D70460-22AE-404A-84C8-A46BFF6D99FB@microsoft.com...
> The link for this does not work currently.
> Do you have a link for 4.7.3000?
> Thanks.
>
> "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes, install Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 that I linked you to below.
>> Jonathan Kay
>> Associate Expert
>>
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thank You ............ I tried that, but I get an error
>> message when I try to install the Add-In, that I need the
>> latest Version of Windows Messenger downloaded. Is there a
>> work around this problem?

February 10, 2005 5:12:08 PM

Hi Jonathan,
Well the link to download 4.7.2009 does not work either.
I understand I need 4.7.2009 to get MSN addins. I dont really care about
the addins so much, so I'd like to be able to download 4.7.3000.
If you could find out why MS took the posting and even when you go to
messenger.microsoft.com, their "download" link just redirects you to SP2
install. Well I have sp2 installed already. Not too smart of MS to not post
an actual msi or exe.
Any help in locating 4.7.3000 would be greatly appreciated, thanks Jonathan!
:)

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> 4.7.3000 and 4.7.3001 do not support Add-Ins, you *NEED* to install 4.7.2009 as below.
> Jonathan Kay
> Associate Expert
>
> "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 5D70460-22AE-404A-84C8-A46BFF6D99FB@microsoft.com...
> > The link for this does not work currently.
> > Do you have a link for 4.7.3000?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Yes, install Windows Messenger 4.7.2009 that I linked you to below.
> >> ____________________________________________
> >> Jonathan Kay
> >> Microsoft MVP - Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger
> >> Associate Expert
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
> >> Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> >> All posts unless otherwise specified are (c) 2004 Jonathan Kay.
> >> You *must* contact me for redistribution rights.
> >>
> >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thank You ............ I tried that, but I get an error
> >> message when I try to install the Add-In, that I need the
> >> latest Version of Windows Messenger downloaded. Is there a
> >> work around this problem?

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:13:26 PM

Hi Brian,

You can find it here:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/47installer.asp

4.7.3000 is simply part of SP2, you can't get it separately and I'm not really sure why
anyone would want to.

!