wg511 netgerar 802.11g cardbus problem

Hi,

I can not upgrade the software package ( firmware, driver + utility)
on my wg511,

I have a feeling that the firmware doese not get updated since I can
downgrade the driver etc back to 1.6 and it works again. Has any one
else seen this.

Depending on what version I try to install I just get a code 10 or
'not inserted' and no LED activity.

The thing keeps locking the computer up as well so I am pretty sure
it's going to have to go back to amazon .

BTW When I was reading ( the rather scant ) info on the netgear site
tonight I noticed they've just uploaded a new version of the software
as I was viewing the page !

( It still does not work for me though :( )

I heard cisco make most of the wirless stuff, Will I have the same
problems if I get a different brand instead ?

Simon

On 8 Jul 2004 14:35:43 -0700, srp@lycos.co.uk (SimonP) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I can not upgrade the software package ( firmware, driver + utility)
>on my wg511,
>
>I have a feeling that the firmware doese not get updated since I can
>downgrade the driver etc back to 1.6 and it works again. Has any one
>else seen this.
>
>Depending on what version I try to install I just get a code 10 or
>'not inserted' and no LED activity.
>
>The thing keeps locking the computer up as well so I am pretty sure
>it's going to have to go back to amazon .
>
>BTW When I was reading ( the rather scant ) info on the netgear site
>tonight I noticed they've just uploaded a new version of the software
>as I was viewing the page !
>
>( It still does not work for me though :( )
>
>I heard cisco make most of the wirless stuff, Will I have the same
>problems if I get a different brand instead ?
>
>Simon

I've just upgraded the software package on my WG511. I did not
experience any such problems - although I did uninstall the previous
software first so effectively built the new one from scratch. The
card was in and active at the time of the upgrade.

Bizarrely I've noticed that Netgear have released yet another upgrade
of this product only yesterday which means the one I upgraded on
Monday is now out of date - aaargh!

yes this is the software I was talking about. I think I might wait
until I don't need the card for a while and then send it back to
amazon for a replacment. It might fix the problem, don't know for sure
though.

I seem to have solved the problem with it locking up ( fingers
crossed, touch wood etc etc ) by stopping the stupid config util from
starting. forget what it's called, it's the thing in the sys tray that
goes green when connected. Looks like the problem was related to
hibernating on my lappy.

BTW netgear support is non existent, they did not reply to my email
and the UK hotline just plays Mozart continuously ! ( well 5 mins.. )

Simes

On 9 Jul 2004 14:13:59 -0700, srp@lycos.co.uk (SimonP) wrote:

>yes this is the software I was talking about. I think I might wait
>until I don't need the card for a while and then send it back to
>amazon for a replacment. It might fix the problem, don't know for sure
>though.
>
>I seem to have solved the problem with it locking up ( fingers
>crossed, touch wood etc etc ) by stopping the stupid config util from
>starting. forget what it's called, it's the thing in the sys tray that
>goes green when connected. Looks like the problem was related to
>hibernating on my lappy.
>
>BTW netgear support is non existent, they did not reply to my email
>and the UK hotline just plays Mozart continuously ! ( well 5 mins.. )
>
>Simes

Well I upgraded again at the weekend after my Netgear GUI (i.e. the
green thing, except it was red) wouldn't connect to the network (hence
the red) seemingly a problem with authentication on the network. I
recently started using WPA-PSK, now that direct support is included in
the Netgear GUI and for some reason the handshaking had stopped
working.

I must admit my confidence in the products got a little shaken up this
weekend as both my laptop and workstation failed to get connections to
the network but for two totally different reasons. I got them both
resolved, but it did waste some time.