Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)

AIANDAS

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004

I am not running MSN messenger as I have uninstalled it. Yet when I go to WU
it tells me I also need to install this new security patch. Should I do it
anyway???????

I installed this update on my computer today when it popped up. My
computer rebooted on its own WITHOUT WARNING. When I looked in my
Add/Remove Programs, I saw something REALLY WEIRD!

There is like a ten page long item in the middle of all my programs.
It has no text.. just some black vertical lines... and no button to
click remove!?!

I have never seen this before, but I'm scared I've installed some kind
of virus since I have not been able to find any information about this
update on Microsoft.com.

Can anyone shed some light on this??

Thanks
-Alex

Code Slinger wrote:
> Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's
New" button
> and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
website,
> the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single hit
for
> KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
calls
> about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login to
the
> server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short
note on the
> Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If
Messenger was
> compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly
what it
> would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right
now with
> no verification possible.
>

> "Pavel" wrote:
>
> > I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information
regarding
> > KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is
still
> > working :)

I was a bit curious as well but when GOOGLE and MS didn't return any
results for the KB#, I had to know. I installed it just and as with
other cases, it rebooted without any choice.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1dcc9628-e2d0-496f-b4f2-3afefa0a0156&displaylang=en

I found this link to MS with little more info than what is already
avaliable, but at least they aknowledge it. It must have been a bad
risk for MS to take the service down yesterday and require the update
in order to sign into MSN.

--Scott

Mimo169 wrote:
> I installed this update on my computer today when it popped up. My
> computer rebooted on its own WITHOUT WARNING. When I looked in my
> Add/Remove Programs, I saw something REALLY WEIRD!
>
> There is like a ten page long item in the middle of all my programs.
> It has no text.. just some black vertical lines... and no button to
> click remove!?!
>
> I have never seen this before, but I'm scared I've installed some
kind
> of virus since I have not been able to find any information about
this
> update on Microsoft.com.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this??
>
> Thanks
> -Alex
>
> Code Slinger wrote:
> > Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's
> New" button
> > and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
> website,
> > the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single
hit
> for
> > KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
> calls
> > about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login
> the
> > server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short
> note on the
> > Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If
> Messenger was
> > compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly
> what it
> > would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right
> now with
> > no verification possible.
> >

> > "Pavel" wrote:
> >
> > > I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information
> regarding
> > > KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is
> still
> > > working :)

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information regarding
KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is still
working :)

I don't really know if Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-009 is related to
this update.

--
Pavel

P.S. You're still having Windows Messenger, that's why you need this
security update.

"Pavel" wrote:

> I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information regarding
> KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is still
> working :)

This thing seems to have screwed up my "Add or Remove Programs". There
is a huge gap (like 10 pages worth of scrolling) in the middle of my
list of programs. I see some random vertical black lines and no button
to click remove. It looks like something got corrupted in the
registry, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

I could have sworn I was infected with a virus, but nothing comes up on
my virus scan...

Any ideas? Thanks! -Alex