Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)

I am not running MSN messenger as I have uninstalled it. Yet when I go to WU
it tells me I also need to install this new security patch. Should I do it
anyway???????
5 answers Last reply
More about security update windows messenger kb887472

    I installed this update on my computer today when it popped up. My
    computer rebooted on its own WITHOUT WARNING. When I looked in my
    Add/Remove Programs, I saw something REALLY WEIRD!

    There is like a ten page long item in the middle of all my programs.
    It has no text.. just some black vertical lines... and no button to
    click remove!?!

    I have never seen this before, but I'm scared I've installed some kind
    of virus since I have not been able to find any information about this
    update on Microsoft.com.

    Can anyone shed some light on this??

    Thanks
    -Alex

    Code Slinger wrote:
    > Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's
    New" button
    > and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
    website,
    > the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single hit
    for
    > KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
    calls
    > about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login to
    the
    > server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short
    note on the
    > Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If
    Messenger was
    > compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly
    what it
    > would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right
    now with
    > no verification possible.
    >

    > "Pavel" wrote:
    >
    > > I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information
    regarding
    > > KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is
    still
    > > working :-)

    I was a bit curious as well but when GOOGLE and MS didn't return any
    results for the KB#, I had to know. I installed it just and as with
    other cases, it rebooted without any choice.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1dcc9628-e2d0-496f-b4f2-3afefa0a0156&displaylang=en

    I found this link to MS with little more info than what is already
    avaliable, but at least they aknowledge it. It must have been a bad
    risk for MS to take the service down yesterday and require the update
    in order to sign into MSN.

    --Scott

    Mimo169 wrote:
    > I installed this update on my computer today when it popped up. My
    > computer rebooted on its own WITHOUT WARNING. When I looked in my
    > Add/Remove Programs, I saw something REALLY WEIRD!
    >
    > There is like a ten page long item in the middle of all my programs.
    > It has no text.. just some black vertical lines... and no button to
    > click remove!?!
    >
    > I have never seen this before, but I'm scared I've installed some
    kind
    > of virus since I have not been able to find any information about
    this
    > update on Microsoft.com.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this??
    >
    > Thanks
    > -Alex
    >
    > Code Slinger wrote:
    > > Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's
    > New" button
    > > and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
    > website,
    > > the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single
    hit
    > for
    > > KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
    > calls
    > > about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login
    > the
    > > server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short
    > note on the
    > > Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If
    > Messenger was
    > > compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly
    > what it
    > > would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right
    > now with
    > > no verification possible.
    > >

    > > "Pavel" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information
    > regarding
    > > > KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is
    > still
    > > > working :-)

    I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information regarding
    KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is still
    working :-)

    I don't really know if Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-009 is related to
    this update.

    --
    Pavel

    P.S. You're still having Windows Messenger, that's why you need this
    security update.

    "Pavel" wrote:

    > I think you should. I did. However i didn't find any information regarding
    > KB887472 on the Microsoft's website. Now my WM is 4.7.3001 and is still
    > working :-)

    This thing seems to have screwed up my "Add or Remove Programs". There
    is a huge gap (like 10 pages worth of scrolling) in the middle of my
    list of programs. I see some random vertical black lines and no button
    to click remove. It looks like something got corrupted in the
    registry, but I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

    I could have sworn I was infected with a virus, but nothing comes up on
    my virus scan...

    Any ideas? Thanks! -Alex

Security Messenger MSN Messenger Windows XP