Possible motherboard problem

G

I have the following setup:
motherboard: dfi ak76-sn amd 761
CPU: Athlon 1.4 GHz
RAM: Micron 256 DDR PC 2100

I am having problems with memory. When I run a diagnostic test, my ram consistently fails in the same spot. Once it is rebooted, it will fail in a different spot but consistently the same until it is booted again. I have returned the ram, and the new sticks do the same thing. I also tried flashing the bios, which did not seem to do anything. Out of desperation, I sent to motherboard back to the company and they tested it saying it has no problems. Can you help me figure out the problem?

thanks

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
There is a problem with the DFI AK-76SN. I don't remember which slot you have to put your RAM in but it's one or the other but not both. I'm assuming you are using 2 DIMMS. If you are using 1 512MB DIMM this also seems to be a problem. The most amount of RAM you can use is 1 256MB DIMM and I think you have to put it in slot 1. Also, you may have to set the CAS latency to 3. DFI will never fess up to this problem. I may be mistaken on a few of these points. It's been a while since I've dealt with one of these boards (although I'm looking right at one now). Once you get that straightened out it's a very stable board.

What?

G

Sorry, I am actually using 2 of the 256 DDR ram, so 512 total. So, I guess that I should get a new board? Any thoughts?
thanks for your help

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
The AK76-SN is a decent board aside from the RAM flaw and even outperformed the Asus A7M266 and the MSI MS-6341 (another flawed board). Use it as a 2nd PC or your primary PC if you don't need to have a super system. If your not a serious gamer I would just hang on to it. If you absolutely need a new board, the Abit seems to be da bomb.

What?