Can't sign in after security update applied

When signing into Windows Messenger today I received a message something
like "You must update to continue". I had already seen the long list of
updates issued by MS so I said yes.

Now that the updates are done, Messenger won't sign me into the service. I
get the "We were unable to sign you in to .NET Messenger Service...".

But from a different machine I can sign in just fine.

I've applied all the critical updates.

Any clues or advice?
1 answer Last reply
More about sign security update applied

    Greetings Bob,

    Usually such things are related to a third-party firewall which may not recognize that new
    version of Messenger as being allowed to access the Internet connection. Simply set the
    firewall settings properly and it should work again.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "Bob H" <134ra5w02_??_sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > When signing into Windows Messenger today I received a message something like "You must
    > update to continue". I had already seen the long list of updates issued by MS so I said
    > yes.
    >
    > Now that the updates are done, Messenger won't sign me into the service. I get the "We were
    > unable to sign you in to .NET Messenger Service...".
    >
    > But from a different machine I can sign in just fine.
    >
    > I've applied all the critical updates.
    >
    > Any clues or advice?

Security Messenger Microsoft Windows XP