how to verify P3 laptop CPU

Hi I recently bought a Dell Latitude LSt laptop with Pentium 3 400
processor. When I boot up on bios, it reports it as P3 400 but when I
use cpu check utilities such as Intel Processor Utility or CPUINFO, it
reports it as Celeron 400. Also it shows L2 cache of 128kb which is for
Celeron as P3 cpu should have more than that )256kb or 512kb?). Also,
when I let Dell examine my system online using service tag, it also
reports it as Celeron 400 processor. Any ideas on what CPU I have in
the system? could the bios showing incorrect cpu?

thanks in advance.
13 answers Last reply
More about verify laptop

    thanks for that. I just downloaded and ran the utility, unfortunately
    it is reporting as Celeron just like other cpu utilities. Here are some
    summary of the report.

    CPU Type : Mobile Intel Celeron, 400Hz (4 x 100)
    CPU Alias : Coppermine-128
    Instruction Set : x86, MMX, SSE
    Original Clock : 400MHz
    L1 Code Cache : 16KB
    L1 Data Cache : 16KB
    L2 Cache : 128KB (ON-Die,ATC, Full-Speed)

    Any ideas? IT seems that bios is the only place reporting it as P3 400
    and all other utilities are showing up as Celeron.

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > "Sam" <shk21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi I recently bought a Dell Latitude LSt laptop with Pentium 3 400
    > > processor. When I boot up on bios, it reports it as P3 400 but when I
    > > use cpu check utilities such as Intel Processor Utility or CPUINFO, it
    > > reports it as Celeron 400. Also it shows L2 cache of 128kb which is for
    > > Celeron as P3 cpu should have more than that )256kb or 512kb?). Also,
    > > when I let Dell examine my system online using service tag, it also
    > > reports it as Celeron 400 processor. Any ideas on what CPU I have in
    > > the system? could the bios showing incorrect cpu?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance.
    > >

    > Download Everest Home Edition (free). It will give you all the information
    > about your system you'll ever need.
    >
    > Here is the link: http://www.lavalys.hu/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
    >
    > Bobby

    When I do a search on the invoice using service tag, it came up with a
    message saying that it did not have that information in the system.
    When I let Dell search confirguration on my curent system, It came up
    as Celeron 400.

    >From the report utility, I research on the "Coppermine-128" and found
    that it is a new version of Celeron? (Celeron II) and it's basically
    the same as P3 (Coppermine) except it has half the L2 cache so I am
    thinking since the bios in this laptop is old and not recognise this
    Celeron II, it reported it as P3 400 (since Celeron II is same
    architecture as P3)? Well, that's my theory.

    But then, it means Dell has been selling Celeron II 400 CPU as P3 400
    on these Latitude LSt. That seems very hard to believe.

    Tom Scales wrote:
    > What does the original invoice say? As I said, I don't believe it was
    > available with a Celeron
    > "Sam" <shk21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > thanks for that. I just downloaded and ran the utility, unfortunately
    > > it is reporting as Celeron just like other cpu utilities. Here are some
    > > summary of the report.
    > >
    > > CPU Type : Mobile Intel Celeron, 400Hz (4 x 100)
    > > CPU Alias : Coppermine-128
    > > Instruction Set : x86, MMX, SSE
    > > Original Clock : 400MHz
    > > L1 Code Cache : 16KB
    > > L1 Data Cache : 16KB
    > > L2 Cache : 128KB (ON-Die,ATC, Full-Speed)
    > >
    > > Any ideas? IT seems that bios is the only place reporting it as P3 400
    > > and all other utilities are showing up as Celeron.
    > >

    > > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > >> "Sam" <shk21@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> Download Everest Home Edition (free). It will give you all the
    > >> information
    > >> about your system you'll ever need.
    > >>
    > >> Here is the link:
    > >> http://www.lavalys.hu/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
    > >>
    > >> Bobby

    As far as I know, the LS came only with a P3-400. It was never available
    with a Celeron.

    Go to support.dell.com and enter your service tag and you can see the
    original invoice.

    Tom
> [...]

    > Any ideas? IT seems that bios is the only place reporting it as P3 400
    > and all other utilities are showing up as Celeron.
    >

    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >> "Sam" <shk21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi I recently bought a Dell Latitude LSt laptop with Pentium 3 400
    >> > processor. When I boot up on bios, it reports it as P3 400 but when I
    >> > use cpu check utilities such as Intel Processor Utility or CPUINFO, it
    >> > reports it as Celeron 400. Also it shows L2 cache of 128kb which is for
    >> > Celeron as P3 cpu should have more than that )256kb or 512kb?). Also,
    >> > when I let Dell examine my system online using service tag, it also
    >> > reports it as Celeron 400 processor. Any ideas on what CPU I have in
    >> > the system? could the bios showing incorrect cpu?
    >> >
    >> > thanks in advance.
    >> >

    >> Download Everest Home Edition (free). It will give you all the

    All I know is that my LS was a P3-400. Beyond that.....

    > All I know is that my LS was a P3-400. Beyond that.....

    Sounds like the CPU has been replaced at some point with a Celeron. What
    seems factually clear from your system BIOS is that you've got a Celeron,
    period.

    Stew

    I just contacted Dell and they have confirmed that it was shipped with
    Celeron 400 back in 2000 when it was sold so I guess my theory was
    correct about how bios is reporting it as P3 400 but all other
    utilities are showing Celeron 400.

    thanks for all your help. Goes to show that you cannot trust the bios.

    I just contacted Dell tech support and they have confirmed that my
    Latitude LSt was shipped with Celeron 400 CPU back in 2000 when it was
    first sold so I guess my theory on how bios is reporting it as P3 400
    but all other CPU utilities are showing Celeron 400 is correct.

    thanks for all your help.

    S.Lewis wrote:
    > > All I know is that my LS was a P3-400. Beyond that.....
    >

    > Sounds like the CPU has been replaced at some point with a Celeron. What
    > seems factually clear from your system BIOS is that you've got a Celeron,
    > period.
    >
    > Stew

    I suspect that BIOS is the original which means pre-year2000 version so
    that's why I was thinking that it does not recognise this Celeron
    Coppermine 128 chip which was a new version of Celeron or Celeron II as
    some called it. This has the exactly same architecture as P3 but only
    has half the cache so it is still a Celeron.

    Anyway, Delll suggested that Updated the BIOS and it should pick up the
    Celeron CPU but I am not going to bother. will return it to the seller
    for refund.

    coppermine celerons started with the 533A processors.

    "Sam" <shk21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I do a search on the invoice using service tag, it came up with a
    > message saying that it did not have that information in the system.
    > When I let Dell search confirguration on my curent system, It came up
    > as Celeron 400.
    >
    >>From the report utility, I research on the "Coppermine-128" and found
    > that it is a new version of Celeron? (Celeron II) and it's basically
    > the same as P3 (Coppermine) except it has half the L2 cache so I am
    > thinking since the bios in this laptop is old and not recognise this
    > Celeron II, it reported it as P3 400 (since Celeron II is same
    > architecture as P3)? Well, that's my theory.
    >
    > But then, it means Dell has been selling Celeron II 400 CPU as P3 400
    > on these Latitude LSt. That seems very hard to believe.
    >

    > Tom Scales wrote:
    >> What does the original invoice say? As I said, I don't believe it was
    >> available with a Celeron
    >> "Sam" <shk21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > thanks for that. I just downloaded and ran the utility, unfortunately
    >> > it is reporting as Celeron just like other cpu utilities. Here are some
    >> > summary of the report.
    >> >
    >> > CPU Type : Mobile Intel Celeron, 400Hz (4 x 100)
    >> > CPU Alias : Coppermine-128
    >> > Instruction Set : x86, MMX, SSE
    >> > Original Clock : 400MHz
    >> > L1 Code Cache : 16KB
    >> > L1 Data Cache : 16KB
    >> > L2 Cache : 128KB (ON-Die,ATC, Full-Speed)
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas? IT seems that bios is the only place reporting it as P3 400
    >> > and all other utilities are showing up as Celeron.

    Hmm, I wonder...

    If the BIOS reports it as a P3 400 (I doubt any were ever made), did Dell
    ADVERTISE the system as a P3 and cover over the cheaper and slower Celery chip
    with the BIOS?

    Is the latest BIOS installed in the computer? if not, maybe there is a BIOS
    update with correction for misreporting the CPU type... Ben Myers

    Sam wrote:

    > I just contacted Dell tech support and they have confirmed that my
    > Latitude LSt was shipped with Celeron 400 CPU back in 2000 when it was
    > first sold so I guess my theory on how bios is reporting it as P3 400
    > but all other CPU utilities are showing Celeron 400 is correct.
    >
    > thanks for all your help.
    >
    > S.Lewis wrote:

    You had me worried, so I just checked my LS (running Fedora Core 2).
    cat /proc/cpuinfo reports P3 Coppermine with 256KB cache (cpu family 6,
    model 8, stepping 3) with support for mmx & sse. On a side note, that
    laptop is perfect for running Linux -- almost everything worked out of
    the box (there was one little tweak to get full screen xvid video
    playback).

Dell Laptops Celeron Processors CPUs Computers