not an other k7s5a issue!

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
ok,

here's the low down:
computer ran perfectly.... stable like a rock for 5 days straight doing video encoding. (divx, vcd, etc...).

shut down/restarted.... no problem....
shut it down again.... no problem.....
restarted the next day....
problem.

I can get into the bios.
it gets to where it's searching for the boot loader...
displays the message:
"searching for os on floppy.... OK"
then stops.

I tried to boot off of cd, same thing happens.

when I clear the CMOS, it gives me a message that

CMOS Battery Low, and CMOS memory wrong length.
this can't be good, right?

I have no idea what happened. is my BIOS wacked?

if you guys (or gals) have seen any thing like this before, please let me know...
any ideas?

my system:
k7s51
amd 1800+
512 ddr 2 CAS
AIW radeon agp
Maxtor ATA 100 controler card
sound blaster live platnum 5.1
fire wire card.
(2) maxtor 40gb 7200
cd burner
dvd.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try replacing the battery? I've heard that some of the KTS batteries that ship with the boards have had problems. I didn't have any problems, but I replaced it with a Panasonic battery I had lying around just in case.

If the BIOS is completely hosed, take the rom file you want to use, rename it AMIBOOT.ROM and put it on a floppy. Reboot the PC with the floppy in the drive and it should re-flash the BIOS.

Good Luck.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

G

Pulse,
I also have problem with this board, can you show me how to clear the CMOS too pls? I read in the manual but not very clear

pulse

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
ok, locate the jumpers near the battery, and near pci slot 3 (I think). you should see three pins with a jumper shorting (connecting) two of the pins. (I believe it's pins 2 and three counting from the pci slots to the left)

disconnect the power supply from the outlet in the wall.
move the jumper onto the first two pins (pins one and two) and wait a while... I've heard people say ten minutes, I've heard that 30 seconds is enough...
whatever. :)
the just replace the jumper to is resting position (on pins two and three). and reboot.
you will get a message about using the presets in cmos.

and thats it.

I'f I'm wrong about the pin numbering then just swith the numbers around. I'm sorry I don't have any information in front of me, or I'd give you the exact numbers... I'm working off memory right now...
hope it helps, if you run into any problems then email back.

pulse.