SMC2804WBR oddity

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 9, 2004 6:44:56 AM

The router performs great with superb range and options. However, since
this morning I haven't been able to access certain webpages. For
example, if I login to my yahoo mail account I can get to the main page
and not the folders such as the inbox. I can on the wired boxes but not
on my wireless laptop. When I resetted the router it worked for a while
then stopped. Any ideas? In addition, I can't submit anything to google
forums when I have entered a certain amount of text into the body field,
having confirmed that I could when using a different piece of text that
I could. On both accounts the browsers(having tried several) connect,
send the http request and sit waiting for a response and usually give a
document contains no data error after a timeout.
I have already updated the firmware and this is a SMC2804WBR V2. I can't
return it so I need to find out a solution to this issue.

Thanks for the info in advance.

More about : smc2804wbr oddity

July 9, 2004 6:55:39 AM

You might be experiencing some packet loss due to tuning issues. Try the
tweaking tool at

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

The packet loss and other tools might require you to register and get a
login.

"Elliot English" <eenglish_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> The router performs great with superb range and options. However, since
> this morning I haven't been able to access certain webpages. For
> example, if I login to my yahoo mail account I can get to the main page
> and not the folders such as the inbox. I can on the wired boxes but not
> on my wireless laptop. When I resetted the router it worked for a while
> then stopped. Any ideas? In addition, I can't submit anything to google
> forums when I have entered a certain amount of text into the body field,
> having confirmed that I could when using a different piece of text that
> I could. On both accounts the browsers(having tried several) connect,
> send the http request and sit waiting for a response and usually give a
> document contains no data error after a timeout.
> I have already updated the firmware and this is a SMC2804WBR V2. I can't
> return it so I need to find out a solution to this issue.
>
> Thanks for the info in advance.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 9, 2004 9:03:38 AM

As far as I can see it is pay per use which I'm not willing to go for.
When I let my computer sit an ping another computer on my network I
doget packet loss despite having an average signal level of -70 dBm.
What could be causing this? How would I fix it?

gary wrote:
> You might be experiencing some packet loss due to tuning issues. Try the
> tweaking tool at
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/tools
>
> The packet loss and other tools might require you to register and get a
> login.
>

> "Elliot English" <eenglish_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>
>>The router performs great with superb range and options. However, since
>>this morning I haven't been able to access certain webpages. For
>>example, if I login to my yahoo mail account I can get to the main page
>>and not the folders such as the inbox. I can on the wired boxes but not
>>on my wireless laptop. When I resetted the router it worked for a while
>>then stopped. Any ideas? In addition, I can't submit anything to google
>>forums when I have entered a certain amount of text into the body field,
>>having confirmed that I could when using a different piece of text that
>>I could. On both accounts the browsers(having tried several) connect,
>>send the http request and sit waiting for a response and usually give a
>>document contains no data error after a timeout.
>>I have already updated the firmware and this is a SMC2804WBR V2. I can't
>>return it so I need to find out a solution to this issue.
>>
>>Thanks for the info in advance.

a b F Wireless
July 9, 2004 9:05:20 AM

"Elliot English" <eenglish_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> The router performs great with superb range and options. However, since
> this morning I haven't been able to access certain webpages. For
> example, if I login to my yahoo mail account I can get to the main page
> and not the folders such as the inbox. I can on the wired boxes but not
> on my wireless laptop. When I resetted the router it worked for a while
> then stopped. Any ideas? In addition, I can't submit anything to google
> forums when I have entered a certain amount of text into the body field,
> having confirmed that I could when using a different piece of text that
> I could. On both accounts the browsers(having tried several) connect,
> send the http request and sit waiting for a response and usually give a
> document contains no data error after a timeout.
> I have already updated the firmware and this is a SMC2804WBR V2. I can't
> return it so I need to find out a solution to this issue.
>
> Thanks for the info in advance.

Your symptoms are not identical to those that I experienced, but they might
be similar enough. Check your router's firewall log and look for a SYN
Flood attack. The router could be misinterpreting a large number of nearly
simultaneous TCP connection requests from the web-site for this attack. If
this is what you find, then set:
Firewall -> Intrusion Detection -> Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP session from
same host = 20 (was 10).

Another problem that I had with this device had completely different
symptoms for me: failure for the router to obtain an IP address for its WAN
port through DHCP. The solution for that, given to me by SMC support, was
to downgrade the firmware from 1.11a to 1.10.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
July 9, 2004 9:21:01 AM

The tweak test doesn't require any login, and the line monitor tool requires
only the basic free login.

> As far as I can see it is pay per use which I'm not willing to go for.
> When I let my computer sit an ping another computer on my network I
> doget packet loss despite having an average signal level of -70 dBm.
> What could be causing this? How would I fix it?
>

> gary wrote:
> > You might be experiencing some packet loss due to tuning issues. Try the
> > tweaking tool at
> >
> > http://www.dslreports.com/tools
> >
> > The packet loss and other tools might require you to register and get a
> > login.
> >

> > "Elliot English" <eenglish_ca@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> >
> >>The router performs great with superb range and options. However, since
> >>this morning I haven't been able to access certain webpages. For
> >>example, if I login to my yahoo mail account I can get to the main page
> >>and not the folders such as the inbox. I can on the wired boxes but not
> >>on my wireless laptop. When I resetted the router it worked for a while
> >>then stopped. Any ideas? In addition, I can't submit anything to google
> >>forums when I have entered a certain amount of text into the body field,
> >>having confirmed that I could when using a different piece of text that
> >>I could. On both accounts the browsers(having tried several) connect,
> >>send the http request and sit waiting for a response and usually give a
> >>document contains no data error after a timeout.
> >>I have already updated the firmware and this is a SMC2804WBR V2. I can't
> >>return it so I need to find out a solution to this issue.
> >>
> >>Thanks for the info in advance.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 9, 2004 7:48:02 PM

Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
> Your symptoms are not identical to those that I experienced, but they might
> be similar enough. Check your router's firewall log and look for a SYN
> Flood attack. The router could be misinterpreting a large number of nearly
> simultaneous TCP connection requests from the web-site for this attack. If
> this is what you find, then set:
> Firewall -> Intrusion Detection -> Maximum incomplete TCP/UDP session from
> same host = 20 (was 10).

I had problems with invalid SYN Flood warnings until I loosened the
settings. I also turned off the "DoS" attack, as it gave lots of email
about SMURF attacks. This is special because _any_ activity to or from an
IP address ending in 255 is flagged as a SMURF, preventing access to some
Yahoo Servers.

Re: SMC Router Firewall Blocks Access to WAN Addresses 255, 0
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z506123C8

--
---