Pop-up: Newer version of Windows Messenger???

Yesterday, under the Security Update for Windows Messenger thread, Code
Slinger, brought up a question regarding a very suspicious pop-up that shows
up about every 10 minutes stating that a newer version of Windows Messenger
is available and must be installed in order to continue and asking if you'd
like to install it now. There's an option for more info under 'What's New'
that when clicked doesn't provide any info at all or even acknowledge the
issue. Furthermore, choosing No, does not impact being able to continue.
Code Slinger wrote:
"Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's New"
button and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
website, the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single
hit for KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
calls about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login to
the server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short note on
the Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If Messenger
was compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly what
it would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right now
with no verification possible."
I contacted Microsoft online support yesterday with basically the same
question and haven't yet received a reply. I don't use any Messenger service
for instant messaging purposes. I'd get rid of Windows Messenger altogether
but it's my understanding that I need it for Outlook Express and other online
support services. Has anyone found an answer as to whether this pop-up is
legit or not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about newer version windows messenger

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;887472

    --
    ~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    "trtye" <trtye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yesterday, under the Security Update for Windows Messenger thread,
    > Code
    > Slinger, brought up a question regarding a very suspicious pop-up that
    > shows
    > up about every 10 minutes stating that a newer version of Windows
    > Messenger
    > is available and must be installed in order to continue and asking if
    > you'd
    > like to install it now. There's an option for more info under 'What's New'
    > that when clicked doesn't provide any info at all or even acknowledge the
    > issue. Furthermore, choosing No, does not impact being able to continue.
    > Code Slinger wrote:
    > "Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's New"
    > button and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
    > website, the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single
    > hit for KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
    > calls about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login
    > the server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short note
    > on
    > the Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If Messenger
    > was compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly
    > what
    > it would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right now
    > with no verification possible."
    > I contacted Microsoft online support yesterday with basically the
    > same
    > question and haven't yet received a reply. I don't use any Messenger
    > service
    > for instant messaging purposes. I'd get rid of Windows Messenger
    > altogether
    > but it's my understanding that I need it for Outlook Express and other
    > online
    > support services. Has anyone found an answer as to whether this pop-up is
    > legit or not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Greetings,

    It's legit, although they did a poor job with this one.

    If you're having problems updating, just grab it from WindowsUpdate (along with a bunch of
    other updates added yesterday):
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    "trtye" <trtye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Yesterday, under the Security Update for Windows Messenger thread, Code
    > Slinger, brought up a question regarding a very suspicious pop-up that shows
    > up about every 10 minutes stating that a newer version of Windows Messenger
    > is available and must be installed in order to continue and asking if you'd
    > like to install it now. There's an option for more info under 'What's New'
    > that when clicked doesn't provide any info at all or even acknowledge the
    > issue. Furthermore, choosing No, does not impact being able to continue.
    > Code Slinger wrote:
    > "Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's New"
    > button and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
    > website, the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single
    > hit for KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
    > calls about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login to
    > the server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short note on
    > the Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If Messenger
    > was compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly what
    > it would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right now
    > with no verification possible."
    > I contacted Microsoft online support yesterday with basically the same
    > question and haven't yet received a reply. I don't use any Messenger service
    > for instant messaging purposes. I'd get rid of Windows Messenger altogether
    > but it's my understanding that I need it for Outlook Express and other online
    > support services. Has anyone found an answer as to whether this pop-up is
    > legit or not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    I have now deleted Windows Messenger via Control Panel. I am running
    Windows XP Professional SP2.

    I don't use Outlook Express and am trying Firefox now. Eudora is IMHO
    a much better emailer and seemingly immune to most trojans.

    However I still get the Windows Messenger update pop-up every 10 to 15
    minutes. Is there no way to get rid of the pesky nuisance; other than
    switching to Linux of course...?

    "Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnewsreplies@jonathankay.com> wrote in message news:<e6iO2J#DFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > It's legit, although they did a poor job with this one.
    >
    > If you're having problems updating, just grab it from WindowsUpdate (along with a bunch of
    > other updates added yesterday):
    > http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > Jonathan Kay
    > Associate Expert
    >
    > "trtye" <trtye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yesterday, under the Security Update for Windows Messenger thread, Code
    > > Slinger, brought up a question regarding a very suspicious pop-up that shows
    > > up about every 10 minutes stating that a newer version of Windows Messenger
    > > is available and must be installed in order to continue and asking if you'd
    > > like to install it now. There's an option for more info under 'What's New'
    > > that when clicked doesn't provide any info at all or even acknowledge the
    > > issue. Furthermore, choosing No, does not impact being able to continue.
    > > Code Slinger wrote:
    > > "Doesn't anyone find that just a bit odd? You click on the "What's New"
    > > button and you get a "page not found" error. You search all of Microsoft's
    > > website, the XP website and the Messenger website and there's not a single
    > > hit for KB887472, the alledged hotfix. Given the presumed flood of support
    > > calls about this and the putative severity (since it's required to login to
    > > the server), isn't it strange that Microsoft doesn't even put a short note on
    > > the Messenger home page to verify the validity of the update? If Messenger
    > > was compromised by hackers to download attack software, this is exactly what
    > > it would look like -- a insistent demand to download and install right now
    > > with no verification possible."
    > > I contacted Microsoft online support yesterday with basically the same
    > > question and haven't yet received a reply. I don't use any Messenger service
    > > for instant messaging purposes. I'd get rid of Windows Messenger altogether
    > > but it's my understanding that I need it for Outlook Express and other online
    > > support services. Has anyone found an answer as to whether this pop-up is
    > > legit or not? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Hi,

    Actually you can't remove Windows Messenger in Add/Remove Windows Components -- it just
    removes it from the Start menu; as shown here:
    http://messenger.jonathankay.com/screens/winmsgrremove.png

    Firstly, remove your saved Passport login in Windows XP, so it can't automatically sign you
    in to the service (you can readd this back in the future if you like), click the Start
    Button, then click the Control Panel. Then, click User Accounts in the Control Panel. Select
    your account name, and then on the left side of the screen, under Related Tasks, click
    'Manage my Network Passwords'. In the window that opens, click the Passport.Net\* (Passport)
    entry and click 'Remove'.

    If the window is still open with the upgrade question, say No, it should now stop trying.

    Then open up Windows Messenger (click Start, then click Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
    choose the Tools menu, then Options, then Preferences tab, uncheck 'Run this Program when
    Windows starts', 'Allow this program to run in the background' and click OK. Then
    right-click on its icon in the notification area/system tray (by the clock) and click Exit.

    It shouldn't bother you again.
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP