forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I built 4 computers that were randomly resetting.

one had a bad stick of crucial pc2100 ram that got over 500,000 errors in memtest86

The nforce one reset until it got the new nforce drivers

and the other two get 1 memtest86 error.

The 8kha+ (1/16/02 bios) with an athlonxp 1800+ cpu, enermax psu, and crucial ram ALWAYS has a memory error at Address 00000410 with ALL 3 sticks of ram. It doesn't matter if it is overclocked or not, or if there is 1 2 or 3 sticks, no matter what, in test 4 or 7, I always get an error at fail address 00000410.

WHY!?!??! Is my 8kha+ board crap? Is it the CPU? The ram has to be good, or I wouldn't get the same fail address every single time with every single stick of ram.

AND why does the k7s5a get a memtest86 error? wtf? I am still testing it though, so I'll tell you more bout that board later.

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
-first put the same ram on another working mobo.
-make sure that you stick is compatible with the mobo (maybe you purchased ecc memory and your mb does not support it)
-check your memory setting in the bios, also check the memory voltage (if u r not overclocking it should be 2.5 or 2.6)

wish if there was UnDo in the life

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
"-first put the same ram on another working mobo."
I'll try that, but you see, all 3 sticks had an error at the same fail adress about 60% of the time. It didn't matter what stick was in the mobo, or how many sticks were in the mobo.

"-make sure that you stick is compatible with the mobo (maybe you purchased ecc memory and your mb does not support it)"
I made sure before I bought it, they are unbuffered, non-parity pc2100 crucial [micron] 256MB dimms

"-check your memory setting in the bios, also check the memory voltage (if u r not overclocking it should be 2.5 or 2.6)"
It didn't matter if it was overclocked or not, memsettings at normal or turbo, I would still get the same error. The most annoying part is that is that I don't get the error every single time, but about 60% of the time with any dimm. (the test runs continuosly in a loop and after 15 loops, the error occured in the same spot 9 times) It makes no sense and is ticking me off. I think it has to be a bad mobo or cpu.

svol

Champion
After so much tests in a loop your mem can get hot, check if your case temps aren't too high, they can also cause memory to fail.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
The author of memtest86 solved it for me:

You are the second one to report this. Evidently the BIOS is using this
location. I think that it is status for a USB mouse. I am still looking
into this but it is not a real error.

Chris

> No matter what stick of crucial PC2100 256MB ram in my 8kha+ motherboard, I
> always get the same error at fail address 00000410 in either test 4 or 7,
> about 60% of the time.
>