I have currently got Windows Messenger 4.7.3000 installed following the SP2
update for XP.

As this does not update automtically to Windows Messenger 5.1 (or even 5.0),
should I manually download and install 5.1 ? What would the benefit(s) of
doing this be ?

Ta,

Nagg

P.S. I use IM to talk to my brother-in-law overseas and often use a webcam
on these conversations too. I have had to resort to Yahoo on some previous
occasions due to Firewall limitations !

Greetings Nagg,

The only real definite benefit you'll find of Windows Messenger 5.x is that it supports
SIP-based Communications Services and Exchange Servers (neither of which you're using). It's
considered a separate product from 4.x, which is why you don't get an upgrade prompt for it.
Jonathan Kay
Associate Expert